Telephone Junction Box Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Moved into an old 1950s ex-authority property about a year ago, and noticed that we had the following junction box, which I thought looked old, but didn't think any more of it.

View media item 10867
View media item 10868
Its positioned right next to the door frame of the front door, the cable on the left are coming from the outside by the look of it (there is a grey sheathed cable), and the coloured pairs are going down some conduit on the sides of the frame.

We are looking to get a new door soon, and it just occoured to me this is in the way. I'm not sure if we even have a Master socket, I need to have a proper look, but certainly this is the first item from the outside cable, and as such I guess is BTs responsability and I can't touch it ?

Best Regards,
Dave

Sponsored Links
It appears to be a BT junction box, what type of phone do you have? Is it one which plugs in? If so they you'll have a master socket somewhere.
If it is BT property then technically only BT should play about with it.

hi
its just a junction box for the cable its simple, its old get rid of it more like cause problems in future.put a master socket there or get a new type junction box from BnQ ect.. if u carnt be bothered get BT should be free cos it is before master socket which they own. how many cables connected looks like 2 core from outside and internal extention can u move the loose wires a bit and post a new picture ?why u want to remove it ?
all work done by you at your own risk
if u die taking new picture dont come crying to me ! :rolleyes:

Contact BT and explain the situation about the door being changed.

Most likely they will replace that box with an NTE 5 ( master socket ) in a more suitable postion. It is that at the same time they will take the opportunity to replace the incoming cable if it past its best.

You lose nothing by asking. You could lose telephone service by interfering with the BT junction box.

Sponsored Links
Bit hard to tell from photo but looks like the connection between the lead in and internal cable,follow the cable and it will probably take you to the master socket,my guess is you will have a external block terminal on the o/s wall also,openreach will move this for you but not for free.Cheaper to get it moved than to pay for a call out and by the hour to fix it if it goes faulty when the door is changed.

There are TWO internal cables leaving the box. An Orange/Green pair with an spare Brown going to the left and a six core with the BeWt pair used going to the right.

If there is a Master (NTE 5 or other) I suspect it will be on the other end of the Orange/Green pair. ( or there may be another old box for a hard wired telephone point )

It looks like the 6 core cable is a later, possibly DIY, connection, to sockets.

yep thats an old type BT 52 (hey Bakelite )from the GPO days the thick black cable is DW 6 extra thick insulation guess you might have some electric o/h feeds or some trees around. Trouble is to terminate DW 6 you need screw terminals (it is a bitch and very tough) you wont be able to use your average B&Q connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back