Underground water butt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gentlemen (and ladies?).

I have begun the epic mission of removing 10 years of overgrowth from the garden and converting it into a functional food production space.

With the desire to use as much space as I can for growth, and the logical need for a water butt... I had a plan.

How feasible would it be to dig a really big hole, put a water but in it, but a simple filter to stop animals/dirt filling it up, and cover with patio + drain cover.

Naturally I couldn't use the bottom tap, so I can plug that up and pump from the top.

Are there any structural/legal/conceptual problems with this idea?

Sam.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly possible, there are many kits for underground water storage, have a google. Don't think they are particularly cheap though.

if the water butt is above ground level, you can fill a bucket from its tap, or put a hose on it to water the plants

if the store is below ground level you will always have to pump it.

Sponsored Links
if the water butt is above ground level, you can fill a bucket from its tap, or put a hose on it to water the plants

if the store is below ground level you will always have to pump it.

Unless you create an old fashion "wishing well" feature out of it and draw water with a bucket or even a wind operated pump!

I have two underground and a number of above-ground tanks for storing rainwater. The underground tanks come into their own when there's a drought; then I use a portable electric pump to deliver the water directly to the vegetable garden, or to top up the above-ground tanks. However, I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to afford the capital costs, or the labour, for the underground tanks if I didn't have them already.

There's a move to install them in some new builds nowadays, for filling lavatory cisterns and washing machines. They aren't cheap.

I think life is too short for water butts with taps in the bottom. I collect rainwater in open topped tanks with room to dip a full-sized watering can: three gallons in three seconds.

Those tanks are expensive and are more for a rainwater harvesting system for flushing the loo.

I have seen those white 1000 litre tanks in a metal cage cheaper.
I believe they're ex water company tanks.
For example. theres a local farmer here who sells them.

I think if you've got a water butt on your house and one on your shed thats enough for most vegetable patches.
You can always chain 2 together.

In terms of lost space, I grow beans/peas up my shed water butt on canes so you don't lose that much space and it's also screened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back