can i support from these large timbers??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am going to put a raised floor in my loft to accomodate for insulation i am having put down, i have three 6x2's running from gable end to party wall, can i put joist hangers on them and hang new joists from them to make the raised floor area or can this not be done. There is three of them running threw the loft each from gable to party wall, one in the centre of the loft the other 2 are running threw about 6 foot away from the centre so my overall new joist span would on be 6 foot as i could hange from either side of the big centre joist. any input would be very very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
in a word no they are designed to give support probably to the ceiling and are large enough for the job with a a small element off redundant capacity

you need to egnore these timbers in your calculations unless you are shure they are up tothe job
a 6x2" timber would need to be supported at around every 4ft or so to allow other load bearing timbers to hang from it

ok thankyou, so how could i increase the size of my ceiling joists without thousands of pounds in expense? if i glue and screw cross battens to them will this make them stronger of will the extra weight cause problems?

Sponsored Links
yes what you are describing is the correct method for light storage off a few kgs a square metre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back