home made slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning all

hope someone can help, im making my own mold for some slabs i want but im thinking that the concrete will stick to the wood, i need to make 10 slabs in total but only want to make 2 molds, time is not a worry so im happy to wait for them to set, so my question is will it destroy the mold each time i make some or can i put some sort of tough plastic in there to stop it from breaking each mold?

thanks in advance for the help

Sponsored Links
coat the moulds in cooking oil, that will help the concrete stop sticking to the wood. another useful tip is to hold a sander against the mould when you put the concrete in to vibrate the air bubbles out

i did actually think about good old pva coating but if your saying cooking oil mr T i could go for that cheers fella

I wonder if concrete formwork oil would be cheaper than using cooking oil (unless you have a quantity of used cooking oil you want to get rid of).

As Thermo says, vibrating the concrete when you pour it is essential; if you don't, the slab will fall apart when you move it.

Sponsored Links
How about lining the tray with plastic cling wrap?

Make the moulds with pegged (dowelled) not screwed joints so that you can knock the sides off to get the slabs out.

thanks for all the replies

if i use the plastic will it stick to the concrete?

Depends on how good a finish you get on the upperside of your mould. Experience will tell!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back