Best Porcelain tile cutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tiler who tiled my bathroom is bl**dy useless! Last year I gutted the bathroom down to bare walls. Removed the bath, sink etc and plasterboard. All he had to do was reline the walls with drywall and tiled from top to bottom. The Porelain tiles are 60cm by 29cm. He used a tile cutter that scored the line he was cutting across then snapped off the end bit or/and used pliers to break off the end rather than a clean line. So you have a jaggered end which would be nearest the ceiling and of course he thought sealant would hide it.

Anyway he has a habit of not taking his time. Taking care in his work, his profession and this winds me up about anybody who is being paid to do a job where you would expect a perfect finish. Tiles are meant to be flush with each other not have a ridge when you run your finger over it! Not leave gaps between the tile and window and expect the grout to fill it. If it was measured properly then you wouldn't have this huge gap!
Right, I don't want to see his face again! A qualified tiler would also know that you don't tile over a wooden bathroom floor. He still did it and several tiles sunk and the grouting has cracked! He did it later to his bathroom and the grouting has cracked.
Now I have the task of having to rip up the tiles with the chipboard flooring..what a mess this is going to be!

I am having to knock a few tiles out myself and so I need a damn good tile cutter for porcelain. I am going to buy me some adhesive and do it myself.
Gawd damn incompetent d*ckhead!

So guys anybody out there in the UK no of a reasonably priced tile cutter? Maybe an electic one?

Sponsored Links
rubi is the best tile cuter get a manual cutter thay start from about £50 and go to about £336.49 at screwfix. You shood buy the star-40n plus its good for floor and wall tiles as you you can change the cuting weel 6mm 10mm i am useing a ts 40 but want a ts 60 take a look a tiletrader.com its the ceepest :LOL:

Thanks Wallt.

I will take a look. If you want the job done properly do it yourself eh? However I don't want to fork out lots of money for a cutter but it might be an investment for the future, as long as it isn't a big job I think I can do a better job. A manual tile cutter, is it going to cut me a straight line for a 60cm length porcelain tile? I mean this supposedly qualified tiler didn't always cut a straight tile which annoyed me. I want a cutter that can cut a perfectly straight line with ease. Anymore suggestions please?

i think you are underestimating how difficult fixing big tiles can be. You'll have to re-board it and everything too. Better off leaving it.

Sponsored Links
Joe.

Thank you for your input but tiling isn't rocket science.
If I was a qualified tiler and it was my proffession then I wouldn't cut corners. It isn't in my nature. I have had to remove one above the shower head. Because this idiot of a plumber drilled a porcelain tile with a normal drill bit plus drilled a hole in the wrong place!
So I don't want a hole showing in the wrong place so I cut the grouting out with a dremal bit and then bashed the tile out. Cut the plasteredboard out and fixed som 4 by 2 batons at intervals with no nails to support a new bit of plasterboard then when that dried screwed and used no nails again the plasterboard to the batons ready for the tiler to secure anothe tile in its place.
I am replacing tiles that have wide gaps next to the window. Trust me I am not knocking the whole wall down again
I am looking at some cutters now. Geez there is a slection.

Joe.

Thank you for your input but tiling isn't rocket science.
If I was a qualified tiler and it was my proffession then I wouldn't cut corners. It isn't in my nature. I have had to remove one above the shower head. Because this idiot of a plumber drilled a porcelain tile with a normal drill bit plus drilled a hole in the wrong place!
So I don't want a hole showing in the wrong place so I cut the grouting out with a dremal bit and then bashed the tile out. Cut the plasteredboard out and fixed som 4 by 2 batons at intervals with no nails to support a new bit of plasterboard then when that dried screwed and used no nails again the plasterboard to the batons ready for the tiler to secure anothe tile in its place.
I am replacing tiles that have wide gaps next to the window. Trust me I am not knocking the whole wall down again
I am looking at some cutters now. Geez there is a slection.

Tiling is not rocket science I agree,
It is easy to do, but not easy to do well !
Leave it to the experts ! And not people who think they can tile.
If it was so easy you would not be asking questions here ! You would just have got on with it......

follow link to see how it should be done .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slsB3_hM8_0

You haven't read my message right. I am not asking how to do it I am asking for advise on the best tile cutter for cutting porcelain.

I am saying I would take better care cutting a straighter line when cutting the tile than the tiler himself. It is my bathroom after all.[/b]

Hi
read your post properly and understood.......

A rubi ts 60 sould do the trick !

Your rocket science comments rubbed me up the wrong way !

No it ain't rocket science, but takes a lot to use correct adhesive, correct method, good setting out, cutting, preparation etc etc etc ......

Too many wannabees think they can tile, which is why you are in this predicament in the first place !

no you have me wrong lol

It isn't rocket science to a tiler. No to me. A so called qualified tiler like the one I was recommended is a disgrace because he hasn't taken pride in his work 'cos after all it is mark he has left and everybody who see it will know it is work and in areas he has rush and not taken pride in his finishing. He is a relative to my best mates girlfriend.
I know a good tiler but at the time he had to much work on and I used his dad who taught him the trade to fit my kitchen tiles and floor tiles lol Wasn't going to use the bathroom tiler.

Oh yes I know a good tiler are worth there weight in gold. A good job done where everything is lined up where it should be. My respect to tilers who take pride in there work.

ok lastly.
You would recommend rubi ts 60 to cut the extra tiles i have to replace his botch up? Is it easy to use and does it cut a straight line? I mean porcelain is tough right? I want a clean cut. Or is it trial and error?

Obviously an electic cutter with rotating disc would be better, like knife through butter?

the first thing i actually think you shoudl do is get him back, dmenad he puts it right, if he is a tiler and your not happy why the F*** shouldnt he sort it out at his expense?

but if you dont want to go that way i have a ts 60 and it will cut porc tiles no worries

ok lastly.
You would recommend rubi ts 60 to cut the extra tiles i have to replace his botch up? Is it easy to use and does it cut a straight line? I mean porcelain is tough right? I want a clean cut. Or is it trial and error?

Obviously an electic cutter with rotating disc would be better, like knife through butter?

Hi
there is not an electric tile cutter in the world that is quicker or more efficient that a "score and snap cutter"
You can score and snap a tile in 5 seconds flat.
A good one will give you a lovely, clean accurate cut !

rubi is the best cutter you can buy all round mate a ts 60 sounds good for the job :evil: bit pricey but if you get a rubi and you finish with it i will buy it off you as mine was stolen this morning from a block of flats i was working on

Thank you for all your replies.

The rubi ts 60 seems to be coming up often. Couldn't find one in B and Q.
I am not sure how much the above costs.

Can somebody tell me the cheapest place to buy it from and overall is it worth me getting? I am going to check online to see how much I can get one for?

Lastly, you score the tile one side? A few times back and for? And then it snaps? Or do you have to have special snappers to break the bit you want cut off? I ask this as the tiler who did my bathroom scored the tiles but I noticed he was using a sort of plier to snap the bit he wanted off. Which resulted in jagged edges. He didn't do everytime. The jagged ends normally ended up near the ceiling so you couldn't see it. But severel tiles near the window are not straight and will need lots of grout which I am annoyed with.

Any advice on the above will be appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back