Painting plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just plastered a room in house and was wondering how long I have to leave plaster before I can paint it ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Depends on the depth of the plaster and the conditions in the room...if its a skim then maybe 3-4 days

If its deep plaster then you might be looking at a few weeks...wait for it to turn pale pink

Deep plaster should be painted with a non vinyl emulsion to allow any moisture thats still in it to escape...if its a skim then vinyl matt will do

i`d wait for it all to dry out, then miscoat with a cheap emulsion allowing that to dry before applying the final paint job

I wonder if its dry yet....................

Sponsored Links
Painted it with b n q white matt water down by 30 percent. On my next coat shall I just use the paint without diluting any ?

I take it its dty then?

You should still thin the next coat out a litle..about 15%

If i may interject, i've never miscoated any walls that i've plastered. And i've nearly always been in a hurry so have painted as soon as its dried (usually within 2 days) and its also never caused me a problem.
However, i've just finished prepping my 25sqm extension and am ready to paint. This time round i will thin down some white matt emulsion and miscoat it first.
Is there a reason for miscoating other than saving on the proper paint?

Thanks, and sorry for the intrusion.

If i may interject, i've never miscoated any walls that i've plastered. And i've nearly always been in a hurry so have painted as soon as its dried (usually within 2 days) and its also never caused me a problem.
However, i've just finished prepping my 25sqm extension and am ready to paint. This time round i will thin down some white matt emulsion and miscoat it first.
Is there a reason for miscoating other than saving on the proper paint?
Thanks, and sorry for the intrusion.
New plaster is extremely absorbent, unless you thin the paint for the first 2 or 3 coats, it won’t bond to the plaster very well, particularly if it's been over polished. If someone wallpapers over it in the future, chances are the paint will come off the wall in great sheaths when it’s stripped to re-decorate leaving an awful mess which will need completely stripping back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back