interlinking smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a mains operated smoke detector that can be interlinked using low voltage alarm cable?

All the smoke detectors, I have seen use three core and earth for the linking.

split from hi-jacked post

Sponsored Links
can you offer any more info? description is a bit vague!

do you wish to run all the smoke alarms from a seperate supply or a are they fed from the lighting?!

It is possible to get 12volt smokes that can interlink and connect to an intruder alarm panel.

Why do you want to link with ELV cabling??

Thank you for the replies.

My intention is to install mains operated smoke alarms with 9 V battery back up in a two storey house. I have identified four locations for the smoke detectors.

My aim was to interlink the alarms together and then connect them to my intruder alarm which has a dedicated "Fire Alarm Input" .

I have already installed the mains cables and elv cables to the proposed mounting points.

The mains cable has been wired to the consumer unit on a dedicated 5A mcb.

Ideally, I should have interlinked them with three core and earth and installed a relay base in the detector closest to the intruder alarm.

I hadn't realised that all the maunfacturers only seem to link mains smoke detectors with three core and earth.

I could install relay bases in all the detectors and daisy chain the ELV cable which would provide the necessary input to the intruder alarm but this wouldn't interlink the detectors and cause them all to trigger in unity.

Hence the search....

Sponsored Links
Pegasus - 'The Turkish Airline' - :lol: ........ said:
Ideally, I should have interlinked them with three core and earth and installed a relay base in the detector closest to the intruder alarm.

Yup, thought that was what you where doing......

You know the correct method, and I don't know of a manufacturer that makes units that can be linked with elv as you require.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Does anyone know of a mains operated smoke detector that can be interlinked using low voltage alarm cable?

All the smoke detectors, I have seen use three core and earth for the linking.

split from hi-jacked post

If i were you i would return the ones you currently have and buy radio linked ones, still run off 240 but there is no need for the interlinking wire!

Five years old this post - I guess he has sorted it by now, one way or another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back