Capping stone for chimney

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an approx 600x850mm concrete type slab that sits on top of my chimney with the flue coming out the middle. The slab is slightly shaped so that the rainwater falls away.

The problem I've got is that this has cracked and needs replacing. I intend to replace this myself, but I spent all day yesterday phoning builders merchants and roofing companies to get another one and no one had anything like it. Travis Perkins were the only company I could find that sold them but they only had 3 different sizes and they were too small!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
hi, i think sourcing an appropriate sized coping stone will be the least of your problems! you will need a scaffold and equipment to safely remove the existing cope as well as getting the replacement up and on.

break up the existing coping stone taking care not to drop anything down the vents. you should block off the fire openings first, or if they are gas appliances they will need removed first.

it would probably be easier in your case to shutter the chimney and pour your own cope in situ.
good luck with that.

Thanks, we've already removed the existing - that was the easy part in comparison!!

I did think that making 1 in situ would be an answer, but I was hoping to get one ready made.

Sponsored Links
Lay some oversailing bricks in solid blue engineers (normally two course), then lay some slate at an angle across the flue so that it will support the pot, then lay the pot over the flue, and then fill the top with some suitable fine concrete mix, and flaunch this from the brick edge up to the pot to form a nice camber

Make sure the oversailing bricks are either in 9" (or at least the first course is) or lay some ex-met in the bed joint to tie it into the concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back