Whats the best weatherproof material for a floor outdoors ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a chicken run for our pet chickens in the back garden

The run will be about 3 x 1.5 metres and about 1m tall.

The back which is against a fence anyway will be overlapped feather edge boards, and the front and ends are galvanised mesh fixed to a wooden frame. It will also have a roof, undecided on this as yet.

Rather than flag the area and fix it to the floor (fox-proofing), I was considering adding a floor so that its easy to brush out and keep clean (plus added security)

I built a shed recently which has an OSB floor, decent stuff but I don't think it would withstand long term exposure to the elements

Can anyone suggest an alternative material that doesnt cost the earth ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i would use a good outdoor varnish we have used this inside animal runs and its wipe clean, best thing i ever did out there.

Sponsored Links
boosh - the hen-house (where they roost at night and where the nest boxes are) needs a smooth floor with a removable wooden slat floor just above ... so their droppings can be easily cleared. This house needs to be secure from Mr Fox at night. The run should not have a floor but be earth so the girls can do what they like to do best ... scratch at the ground. If the run & house will always be in the same position sink the mesh into the ground (maybe 10" deep or deeper) around the COMPLETE perimeter of the run, this will prevent Foxy getting in during the day. Consider modifying your design (carry handles) to allow the unit to be moved around the garden ... new scratching opportunities for the girls. At 1m high it must have a mesh roof ... Foxy can jump and hens can 'flap' out of low enclosures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back