Protecting Decking Post End Grains on Concrete Flags

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm starting a project this weekend (weather permitting) which will see me installing a multi level deck over both earth and then a flagged patio at a different level. I'm happy that the patio is solid enough to be used unmodified as a foundation and am planning on putting intermediate 75x75mm, pressure treated support posts, connected to the joists (150x50mm) supporting the deck. The overall frame will be supported by surrounding buildings on wall plates and several concrete-set posts.

My idea for the extra intermediate posts will lend a more solid feel to the deck but I want to just rest these directly on the flagged patio, however, the end-grains will be in direct contact with the flags. I can use end-grain preserver of course but I'm wondering if there are any commercially available products or techniques available to cap off the post ends in contact with the ground. I'm thinking of some kind of plastic/metal galvanised foot or cap that will protect the end of the post. My main concern is pooling rain and then the grain repeatedly sucking up the moisture.

Does anybody know of such a product or technique to achieve this.

Sponsored Links
You could put a few 1" coach bolts with washers into the endgrains to hold the timber off the concrete.

Cheers for that Dextrous. I've got a box of Stainless Steel coach screws that will be just the job. Why didn't I think of that...?

I was thinking of self adhesive flashing tape but this would possibly fail over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back