15 year old vaillant combi.....repair or replace???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has a 15 year old Vaillant combi (VCW GB 242EH).

The hot water valve (part 011299) seems to have rusted away and is now leaking.

I can get a replacement part online for around £100 and fit it but i'm not too sure whether to suggest replacing the boiler due to its age....thinking if one part has corroded maybe other things may go wrong with it in the future leading to more costs.

Any views on the best way forward?

Vinny

Sponsored Links
you pays your money, you takes your choice, the VCW is a good boiler I would repair it. even though I could make more by selling you a new one

I know what you mean, I could fit one in about a month after I take my ACS but as a friend I don't want to take my mates money if I can repair it.

Only concern is something else going on it in the future.

Vinny

unfortunately no guarantee on next breakdown but this part is amongst the most common to fail on these units

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that i'll go for the replacement valve, gonna check locally to see if I can get it cheaper.

Depending how bad its been leaking you may have to drill the grub screw out that holds it to bearing plate, Also if it has been bad the lining in the bearing that allows the pushrod to move up to the servo valve maybe damaged. Only takes couple of mins to change plate. If still avialable.

Also why change whole water section its the stuffing gland on top that is leakin and you used to be able to get these for a tenner

Depending how bad its been leaking you may have to drill the grub screw out that holds it to bearing plate, Also if it has been bad the lining in the bearing that allows the pushrod to move up to the servo valve maybe damaged. Only takes couple of mins to change plate. If still avialable.

Also why change whole water section its the stuffing gland on top that is leakin and you used to be able to get these for a tenner

It's the actual water valve thats rusted and is leaking....wish it was just the gland on top.

Vinny

I would repair it, one of the best boilers ever sold in this country.
If it is rotted, you should clean the system thoroughly and keep enough inhibitor in afterwards.

me thinks not
spinning.gif

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back