Ideal classic boiler - gurgling sound before fire up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope you can help, there seems to be a few questions and answers surounding airlocks on this boiler although im not expreriencing problems with the boiler cutting out, only this annoying sound.

i recently had a rad valve changed downstairs by a plumber that led to the bleeding of the rads throughout the house. ever since there has been the sound of water sloshing through the pipes into the boiler when it turns on just before it fires up.

Im guessing theres air in or around the boiler although im not entirely sure how to bleed it.

i have tried the rads once more in the hope air had settled in them over the weeks since the last bleed although only a small amount in one rad was found.

i also bled the valve by the hot water tank upstairs which again only gave a small amount of air.

any ideas? there seems to be a small bleed nipple on top of the boiler very much like you find on a car brake caliper, i cautiously turned that earlier without anything coming out at all?

i also noticed a valve on one of the copper pipes above the boiler? i havent tried this as of yet as my luck would have it, i dont know what its for and the world would most probably end

thanks in advance richie.

Sponsored Links
you need to let the forum know what model of boiler you have :confused:

your problem sounds like you have air in your pump, first isolate the power to pump, you shoud have a large screwhead in the center of the pump, place a cloth under the screw and remove it, insert a small screwdriver and turn the pump spindle slowly anti clockwise a few turns, this should release any air

hi there, sorry its an FF240 slimline, its an open vented system.

coincidentally i just backed that screw off earlier hoping some air would rush out although water started running out immediately so i tightened it up again, would water not constantly flow with the screw removed?

you should get a little water, thats what the clothes for. if water continuously pours from the pump your pump may be on the way out

Sponsored Links
Could be just a plain and simple air pocket moving around, but first of all I would check there is water in the header tank.

Then if you bleed an upstairs rad, do you get water coming out continuously?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back