leak in garage roof - what to do about it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in my garage roof, the water is coming through and slowly rotting one of the main beams. I can't afford a professional fix and I'm utterly useless at DIY, so advice appreciated.

I think the water is getting in via a hole where a pin/big screw goes through to hold that part of the roof on. What I'm thinking as a first attempt is to get on a stepladder, then putting some of that expanding gunge stuff through/around the hole and hope that stops water coming in. Then get the bad wood off the beam and treat the remainder with something suitable which stops/prevents rot.

Sponsored Links
Parts of your post are not very clear, is the roof finish felt or somthing else? Any chance of a photy?

I'm utterly useless at DIY
This bit is very clear. :LOL:

Photo - yes - but how do I add it?

Roof is I think something like corrugated sheets of fibeglass or another pressed material. I can't help but be vague, so if I can get a photo on I suspect that will say more than my words.

Sponsored Links
The original post - now with photo's:

I have a leak in my garage roof, the water is coming through and slowly rotting one of the main beams. I can't afford a professional fix and I'm utterly useless at DIY, so advice appreciated.

I think the water is getting in via a hole where a pin/big screw goes through to hold that part of the roof on. What I'm thinking as a first attempt is to get on a stepladder, then putting some of that expanding gunge stuff through/around the hole and hope that stops water coming in. Then get the bad wood off the beam and treat the remainder with something suitable which stops/prevents rot.

Pictures in my album and (if this works) below.

//www.diynot.com/network/Klinsmann/albums/3315

Thanks for that advice, I'll give it a go. Hopefully I won't fall through the garage roof in the process - not that you'd be liable if I do. :LOL:

Had a look round for Acropyl or similar to no avail, but found Thompson's roof and gutter sealant so I'll be on the roof putting that round the bolts and crossing my fingers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back