Refurbishing Flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a small flat roof dormer window which I believe was built about 30 years ago and looks like it has bitumen on it and a mineral felt. Although the roof isn't leaking I am having some work done on an adjoining roof and I would like to refurb the flat roof so that it lasts for another 30 years.

Not sure I want to deal with hot bitumen so I wondered if anyone could suggest a good approach for a (reasonable :)) diy-er?

Sponsored Links
A local roof merchant as recommened Aqua seal which I believe is an acrylic based waterproof paint.. does anyone know if this would be a good choice to refurb my roof?

Thanks in advance for looking at my posts.

Rob

Hi, depends on whether the decking underneath, at 30 years old it's probably chipboard and will have suffered water ingress and blown,I would replace the decking with OSB 18mm boarding and glass fibre the lot. Go to your local good roofing centre and you can buy a starter glass fibre kit. It now is sold as a 10metre x 1 metre kit whereby you prime the new OSB board, unroll and cut the glass fibre to suite,place it on the OSB and unpeel the top paper layer of the strips, UVA does the rest and cures it to give a very long life span. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back