Is this going to be enough materials for the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking for advise on indian sandstone as thats my next wee project. 18sqm.

many thanks.

this is the best pic i have.

also this is the estimate i have been given

but due to unforseen circumstances,im going to try to do it.

Can anyone tell me if this estimate is fairly accurate? any feedback is welcome

Install compacted subbase and 50mm of screeded granite sand.

Lay recycled slabs -(base for shed) butt jointed and finished with kiln dried sharp sand.

Dig out and remove waste material form new patio and path.

Prepare and install compacted subbase(50mm min) type#1 aggregate.

Install 18sqm natural stone pavers(mixed sizes). Pointing gaps to be filled with m-joint pre-mixed pointing mix. Gaps to be 12-30mm width.

Rotovate, rake and prepare lawn area one day prior to turf arrival. Landscape rake until evenly graded, ensuring to remove any stones larger than 30mm diameter. Rake in screeded loam compost to act as initial boost feed for turf. Ensure to leave areas of bare/rotovated earth where planting borders are to be positioned.

Install 60sqm or turf roll and water-in to aid establishment of turf root system.

Tool/hire:
Compaction plate
stihl saw and blade
skip

Materials:
2 tons type#1 aggregate
3 tons granite sand
8 bags ordinary cement
5ltr Plasticizer and Hardener(frost protector)
18 sqm Natural stone pavers(mixed sizes)
25kg Kiln dried silver sand
1no:bulk bag screeded loam soil mix/feed
60 sqm turf roll

PAVING SLAB : MINT FOSSIL
Each pack covers 16.88
sqm

packs are in 5 assorted sizes:
600x900 : 9 Pcs
600x600 : 14
Pcs
600x450 : 10 pcs
600x300 : 14 Pcs
300x300 : 14 Pcs

1 Mixed size
pack would cover 16.88 m2
5 Pcs of 600x450 mm would cover 1.40 m2

Sponsored Links
Thats not an easy one to call as who knows how much you are going to have to dig out? I had 50sqm lain a couple of months ago and it was 22 T out and 19 Tonne of aggregate in and compacted. At the sort of depth my base ended at and on your SQM that would be around 6T aggregate required. Don't worry though i am sure you will find out soon enough! Good luck and looking forward to progress shots.

Cement mixer for the tool list?

Are you laying a bed of sand on top of the compacted aggregate and then what? Just wondering if you are mortaring the slabs to fix or leaving them on the sand with no fixing other than their own weight?

the plan is to mortar the flags down. i've started to roughly dig out the area today. im finding that theres more stones than soil. i also dug down at the area where the people who built the house had laid slabs,and found that there is a base of what looks like mot and a layer of what looks like sand on the top

im not sure if i need to remove the sand,or if i can leave it,it would be great if i could leave it lol.

not done ,manual labour for a while i've got blisters n back ache lol.

heres a pic of whats under the slabs.

Sponsored Links
I watched the guys laying my slabs and they mortared the slabs straight onto the hard core after it had been compacted down twice. i can't comment on the base you are showing in the pics as not enough experience. In saying that if it was me everything would come out and i'd start again so i knew it was done right. I am sure someone will be along soon to answer you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back