Central heating water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a worcester combi boiler and a few weeks ago the pressure started dropping. I have to top it up every morning and by the following morning the pressure has dropped from 1.2bar down to 0.5bar.

I had this problem once before and found that the cupboard under the sink was always damp and took out the floor and found one of the pipes from a radiator to a splitter pipe was leaking. Got that repaired and had been fine for the last 5 years or so. Lifted the board up again and all the pipes are dry so the leak must be elsewhere.

* No damp spots in the ceiling so the leak must be downstairs.
* Boiler auto air vent and other internals are dry so no leak from the boiler.
* Overpressure outlet is dry

The house is about 20 years old with 3 radiators upstairs and downstairs. 10mm microbore. What I can see under the sink the microbore seems to be encased in plastic I assume to protect it from rubbing.

So at this point I am thinking it must be a leak in one of the pipes running from the under the sink to each of the 3 downstairs radiators (kitched, front room and porch).

Any ideas for diagnosing furthur other than start lifting the floorboards. The kitchen would be a pain as its laminate.

Sponsored Links
repressurise the boiler and turn on the central heating and watch the gauge does it rises beyond the 3 bar mark?

Check the radiator valves under the wheels/caps. If the valve is not shiny where the spindle comes out of the body, you have found the problem.

Sponsored Links
I need to fully open the valve to top up the water for about 5 seconds to fill it up every 24 hours. Thats only about half the water loss as I had last time but even so I would imaging thats a good 2-3L of water. Enough at least fir it to run down and leave the side of the pipe wet or drip onto the floor.
All the pipes at the radiators and the base of the radiators are all dry.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back