Is 3 live and 1 neutral return allowed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents bungalow:- They have a pair of sockets behind their TV and 1 by a door. Checking out in the loft and behind the sockets, the ring main comes in and leaves each socket = 2 cables down each conduit to each socket point.

They want to be able to have 3 sockets behind the TV, switch 2 of them from switches by the door, 1 switched in situ AND have the socket by the door still working. [ The idea is 1 behind the telly stays on most of the time for the aerial amp, but they like to switch the rest off at night but are getting too old to reach behind the telly & would like switches elsewhere.]

Could I:-

1, Cut and link the ring in the loft to maintain that integrity.
2, Spur to the socket by the door with 1 of the existing cables [Live/Neutral]
3, Spur to a socket behind the TV with 1 of those existing cables [Live Neutral]
4, Take Live from the door spur to feed a pair of switches and use the other cable at that point to take 2 switched Lives into the loftspace. [Effectively allowing 3 sockets on 1 spur]
5, By means of junction box, link those switched lives back down to the sockets behind the tv, on 1 of the existing cables - connecting the Neutrals to the spur [No.3 above].

I'd consider using 2 x 3 core + earth & trying to feed a couple of lengths down the conduit, but only see it available in weights for lighting & not sockets.

Am I asking too much for 1 live to feed 3 sockets & 1 neutral to return from 3 sockets - or should I just look at any point in the ring and say to myself it could be feeding or returning 10 or 15 different sockets at that point so the stress is not too great?

Though I'm looking forward to my inheritance, I'm not in need of it just yet............... Heh!

Sponsored Links
Save yourself all the bother and buy a remote switching device for the sockets you want to switch off. They're dead cheap and won't compromise your installation.

basically no..

for a start, AFAIK, 3C+E only comes in 1.0mm ( maybe 1.5mm ).. it's for switches and fans mostly.... maybe interlinked smoke sensors

only 1 DSSO allowed per unfused spur..

as said, get a remote control socket adapter, plug a 4 way extension into it.. job done..

remote adapter about £12 at B+Q ( other DIY sheds are available ) 4 way extension, about a £5? job done..

Sponsored Links
Or just tell them leave it all turned on. Standby energy consumption on modern equipment really isn't as bad as the government would like us to believe, and turning the power on/off to some devices is bound to cause unnecessary stress on components in their power supply, which could lead to premature failure.

To see what is permitted follow link which at the end of the corrigendum shows all options that can be used to supply power.

Using Ali-tube cable rather than twin and earth 2.5mm three core and earth is available. But to me the whole idea is flawed.

When using conduit or steel wire armoured cable where the earth is greater than the live feeds some times only the lives are feed as rings. But this is unlikely to be appropriate with domestic systems.

So either you need to make the TV supply part of the ring or you need to include a fused connection unit. This is all shown in the diagram which you should have no problem following.

This is another another option. Maybe better then the other alternatives as it uses your original tv remote. Atleast that way you don't have an extra remote to potentially lose down the back of the sofa! ;)

Thanks for the replies - The remote adapters won't be the option as he's [ my Pop] not going to want them powered up all the time - oddly contrary to being happy that the tv amp is on 24/7..... *sighs*

Thanks for the replies - The remote adapters won't be the option as he's [ my Pop] not going to want them powered up all the time - oddly contrary to being happy that the tv amp is on 24/7..... *sighs*
The last time I checked one of those adaptors used about 3w in standby mode, which is about £1.80 a year (depending on your tariff).

The power used by these remote adapters is unnoticeable. Zero, if you like. You can program each one to a button on the remote, or all on the same button. So you just press one button once on leaving or entering the room. And they're so cheap to purchase, it's a no-brainer.

Since it's only for a TV and associated equipment you could use a fused connection unit. Then I don't see a problem with using seperate lives but only one neutral after the FCU since the FCU provides protection against overloading.

Cost of installation > electricity cost savings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back