Sub contracting on large contract - council spend £30m

G

Goldspoon

Very shortly to begin in N Wales:

"G Purchase Construction, and social landlord Cartrefi Conwy’s £30m deal to improve its 3,800 properties".

Essentially the council have £30m to spend, over the next 4 years, and G Purchase (Midlands based) want to meet carpenters, plumbers, electricians, plasterers, painters and decorators, tilers, kitchen fitters, builder's merchants and building contractors.

I imagine this is good for the area even if one doesn't get involved due to others being involved and then being out of the loop so to speak leaving more work for the remaining businesses.

Has anybody any experience of sub contracting for large companies such as G Construction on these sort of projects (have only dealt direct with customer so far and enjoy being my own boss but work is work...)? Any advice before meeting them? Any requirements they will need?

Sponsored Links
hi,

one very important aspect of contracting is the health and safety side.

you would benefit from investing a few hundred pounds with a h & s consultant to develop your company health and safety policy, risk assesments, staff / subcontract induction routines etc.

nothing to be scared of its all common sense and will certainly be a fundamental requirement of the larger principle contractor, as would your current insurances - min 5 million PL

good luck

Mark Mason

If you are just going as a single tradeperson, then you will just be treated as such and there should be no palava with method statements, risk asessemtns etc. There will be, if going as a contracting firm

As you will be working in tenants homes, then you may be vetted - CRB check or appropriate references.

Otherwise it should be just normal subbing work.

The tip I would give, is if you are on a bonus or price work scheme, then make sure that you are getting a fair share of the better earning work, and watch out for it being given to particular people.

But generally, the way things are at the moment, the main contractor may set terms, and it's a case of take it or leave it.

But think long term. Continuity of work on a low rate is better than no work at all.

Sponsored Links
Back