Drip from the Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me...there is a drip in the vicinity of the Hot Water Tank, or in the tank itself ,about every half minute. No obvious sign of water anywhere.
Also the silver box was hot when I checked things out.
It is a central heating system also running hot water option.
Live solo and have electric shower and cold fill washing machine so hot water tank hardly ever on.
The central heating and hot water have been off for a couple of weeks.
No leakage that I can see from the overflow (header?) tanks in the loft.
Help welcome and thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
could be anywhere. without looking at your cylinder no one can give you a definate answer. look at joints for signs of corrosion.would it happen to be a yellow colour cylinder by anychance.

Thanks for the reply.
Green foamed tank, about ten years old, thought vaguely the hot silver box symptom might be related.
I switched off the electrics for silver box to cool, then tested the hot water action..OK tho didn't have it on long, just long enough for water to get warm.
Not life threatening, was planning to switch off the central heating/hot water for the summer anyway, and the electrics if safe to do so.
Sounds like the drip is within the tank.
Hunting now for a mirror to look behind the tank.

the silver box your on about is the immersion check round the seals even check the stat pocket in the immersion as these can get pinholed. a leak just doesnt go away.if you leave it, it could eventually start rotting the floor then the fun starts.

Sponsored Links
The immersion looks to be the round thing on top of the tank. Looks OK.
The silver box is near the pump with two pipes running from it (heavily insulated), and has a thin type toggle ?switch in the side, which I cannot see properly.
Not hot now, and has a quite thick cable running from it to the electrics.

ahh you mean the 3 or 2 port valve for the central heating/hot water. if its one pipe in and two comming off. it sounds like a 3 port valve(s plan).

We're getting there...valve...could this be stuck letting water thru.
Forgive my ignorance. Also concerned why it was hot, when system hadn't been used awhile. Anyway electrics on, showing clock working correct time and silver box not hot anymore.

It could be a weep from any of the fittings on the cylinder, travelling through the foam insulation, and emerging from wherever it can, or it maybe the cylinder itself.

I would check ALL the fittings for any sign of dampness first. A supply of tissues is useful. Wipe a tissue around the fittings where they emerge from the cylinder, and see if it comes back damp.
Start from the top and work downwards, as the foam below any leak may already be waterlogged.

The actuators in the valves are usually designed to draw a small electrical current to hold the valve in the selected position against a spring. This small current will keep them warm.

Still no sign of dampness, seepage, no pools of water.
Fired up the system, hot water and rads work. Nowt wrong with header tank overflows.
From the top of the cylinder almost as if water dripping down the pipe that leads into the top of the cylinder.
Found a mirror, no signs of damp falling water etc. behind the tank. Loosened the spring wire that holds the cylinder thermo in position, no sign of water. Dry Bone.
The toggle switch is NOT held back.
Maybe one of those things that need to get worse before it gets better.
Anyway buckets in situ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back