water regs - check valves and service valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new bath and shower in my bathroom and will eventually also be creating a new ensuite wetroom with wc, shower and wash basin. I intend doing all the pipework myself with speedfit. Can someone please fill me in exactly what valves I have to install by law on the supplies to all of these? i.e single check, double check, service valves? Thanks

Sponsored Links
if its new build you should call your local authority if an exisiting house dont worry

single check valves for shower supplies, service valves on WC, wash basin, shower, bath and inlet to combi boiler
stopvalves for outlets of cold storage tanks & inlet of hot cylinder

double check valve on incoming main immediately after stopcock and a drain off valve at lowest point of cold and hot services

these are the basic requirements of our local water board

Sponsored Links
Nit-picking, this
outlets of cold storage tanks & inlet of hot cylinder
...would be two valves in series. One will do.

There are some additional frequent hiccups eg:
The first valve into the property should be a screw-down not quarter turn type.
Shower heads mustn't be able to dangle in the bath, and "moslem" sanitary sprays are almost impossible to install legally.

Nit-picking, this
outlets of cold storage tanks & inlet of hot cylinder
...would be two valves in series. One will do.

yes but do you really like climbing in & out of loft?

There are some additional frequent hiccups eg:
The first valve into the property should be a screw-down not quarter turn type.

yes that is correct, a gate type is not accepted.

Shower heads mustn't be able to dangle in the bath, and "moslem" sanitary sprays are almost impossible to install legally.

the way to comply with this is to fiit a shower check valve at the wall end of the hose (a small 1" fitting with a check valve inside it) this is accepted by B'mouth & west Hants and Southern Water locally

Some of you guys need to catch up with the regs. :rolleyes:
At the point of entry, a full flow lever valve is perfectly acceptable, together with a drain point, a check valve is not needed in order to comply with the regs.

Backflow prevention must be at point of use.

Ask a dinasaur if ya want a know anything. :LOL:

Ok, thanks all. According to homebase leaflet "how to replace hand basin or bath" you need double check valve and service valve on each pipe - hot and cold, just before the taps. Is this a bit of overkill then?

Yes it is, you need single check valves, if it is mains direct feed. Not tank water in other words, and only then if they're mixer taps and valves.

At the point of entry, a full flow lever valve is perfectly acceptable, together with a drain point, a check valve is not needed in order to comply with the regs.

:

round here the water board insist on a check valve after the main stopcock!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back