roof fixings question, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have built a big fancy gambrel roof shed and have just ordered some felt and roof shingles from katepaluk.co.uk for it. I have read all their online instructions and I will need to buy nails/screws for fixing all this on as they do not supply that.

In their info mostly they use nails and they stress that these should pass through the roof sheet/decking etc, which would be ok for a house or similar but they also mention that you can get special screws instead if you don't want them poking through becuase it is a kids playhouse for example, well I will be using the roof space quite a bit in my shed and don't want to get stabbed with the points all the time so I fancy the screws.

Can anybody tell me what ones I need to get, ie what are they made of, any pictures on the net etc, so I can see what they look like and do screwfix do anything appropriate?

Also I saw a program where the guy used aluminium nails instead of galvanised nails and said how the aluminium ones were so much better, ie these would never rust etc. This idea appeals to me if the cost is not silly so can this idea be applied to the screws, ie are there a better metal screw I could use as opposed to a basic one, I have seen copper ones but I know you should not use certain metals in certain circumstances and I am not sure which is ok for where, or even what is available?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back