gable roof boxed ends

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May I ask for some assistance please, tomorrow I will be running the soffit and fascia around the cut and pitch gable roof I have recently erected, stupidly and I do feel stupid, I can't remember how to do the boxed ends on the gables. Please help as I am doing it tomorrow, thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
We try and mimic the existing boxes. Remember, the box by design only needs to deal with the profile of the horizontal soffit and/or wall plate.

So you just add timber cradling to what you already have which is a gable ladder undercloaked with say 9mm ply. We would normally fix ply to the underside of the gable ladder and fix ply to the horizontal soffit bringing the soffit ply all the way to to the barge overhang. this end piece of soffit is flapping about until you secure it with some additional cradling.

All this is difficult to explain but generally if you fix ply soffitting where you can get a fixing then forming the cradling is easier. The horizontal soffit cradling can be fixed to the rafter ends. We tend to finish the brickwork so that the soffit can rest on the final course and then trap it in place with short lengths of timber attached to the rafter ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back