whose fault??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just (yesterday) had tiles laid on our wooden floor, and already one tile has cracked and some of the grout is coming out in other areas. :cry:

The tiler had laid plywood on top of the floorboards. He now says we need to pull the tiles up and get a builder to stabilise the floor better.

Shouldn't HE have done that before he started?! Is it possible he hasn't used flexible enough adhesive and grout? (he insists he has). Is there any other way to fix it?

Any comments greatfully received...

Sponsored Links
kiwi123 said:
We've just (yesterday) had tiles laid on our wooden floor, and already one tile has cracked and some of the grout is coming out in other areas
The grout should not have be done at least 24 hrs so the tile adhesive can dry properly.
kiwi123 said:
He now says we need to pull the tiles up and get a builder to stabilise the floor better
Who is 'we' ? It should be 'I' need to pull....(the builder) If the floor is unstable then why tiles over it ?

kiwi123 said:
Shouldn't HE have done that before he started?!
Yes
kiwi123 said:
Is it possible he hasn't used flexible enough adhesive and grout?
Yes.
kiwi123 said:
Is there any other way to fix it?
No, unless the adhesive is faulty or out of date.

Sorry to be like this but was the plywood screw down every 9" (230mm) as well ?

I've seen this happen a few times before, on every ocassion it has been due to incorrect adhesive.

You have to assume the ply was fitted ok, if it wasn't then what was he doing tiling over it, and seeing as how he laid the ply, he can't really blame anyone else?

If the floor is 'unstable' then this should all have been spotted (and sorted) long before any tiles were laid and before any ply was laid.

First, a good foundation is ALWAYS needed for floor "ceramic" tile. A flexible floor is bad news for ceramic tile because the tile will crack and the grout will also crack.

The ceramic tiler is at fault. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that think they know how to lay tile, but don't.

Since tile is already layed, there's not much you can do but to remedy the situation. First, I'd fire the layer (stop payment on all checks, etc) maybe sue them for the damage.

Next, remove the grout (not easily done) then put new grout in. Allow it to cure for at least 48 hours before walking on the tile. This may have to be done in sections since you may have to walk on the tile. After the replaced grout has cured for at least 48 hours, then treat it with 'grout sealer', then again wait the amount of time on the label of the grout sealer, at least 24 hours.

Cleaning: Don't use heavy chemical cleaners on the tile. Vinegar and water is usually best.

Hope this post has helped. Report the guy who laid your tile to some authority in your local area that removes him/her from their business of ruining homes. Hopefully you can stop them from doing this to others.

Good luck,
Dave

Sponsored Links
chappers.. read the blurb on fastflex, you have obviously been happy with it. Tell me have you used it straight onto the floor as the blurb says, or did you use plywood as well? just curious as I am thinking of changing my bathroom floor in the spring.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back