Increase Water Main From Street - Trenchless Method?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to increase the mains feed pipe sizes into my home from a 15mm to 22mm (aprox) and someone has suggested I use a contractor who can do "Trenchless" pipe replacement out to the street.

As about 4 metres or so is under ground, this sounds like a magical solution if he can really connect to the outside street inlet like that.

Does this sound possible?

Are special permissions required from the council/waterboard?

Any info welcomed.

Thanks.
Charles.

Sponsored Links
Yes you dig a gert big hole at the end of the property, then another at the point of entry, then you can mole the pipe between the two.

The water utilities will then dig the road up and make the connection.

The water utilities will then dig the road up and make the connection

Fantastic but pointless and ridiculous because your main pressure will be exactly the same as the direct main feeding the property, putting in a bigger pipe from the main to your home will be pointless, pressure wise.

The idea of a larger pipe is to increase the volume, or Ltrs per minute to you.

Sponsored Links
The aim is to increase the litres per minute to at least 18 (which is the boiler heating capacity).

Will it work and is this a big job?

Very pricey Kev, as for will it work, that depends on the pressure as well.

Personally I would dig a trench, for a fraction of the cost, and renew in 32mm mdpe.

The idea of a larger pipe is to increase the volume, or Ltrs per minute to you.

So 4m of larger pipe will significantly increase the volume ``litres per minute`` of water then :rolleyes: from a smaller main. YEEAAWWWWN.

Old Bamber can't seem to keep away from this site can he :?: :LOL:

Once a troll always a troll! :rolleyes:

Odds on he will be banned in less than a week! :LOL:

Whoever does the job will probably want to know EXACTLY where ALL the other services are run, including gas, electricity, telephone, cable TV, street lighting, sewers and drains, as there's the potential to damage any or, if you're extremely unlucky, all of them.

We had a gas service pipe replaced by Southern Gas some time back. They elected to mole the pipe ten metres from the street to the service entry point. By the time they gave up using a mole, they had dug four pits in the driveway and smashed a clay tile land drain. They dug the last three metres by hand in less than half the time they had been messing about. It was just as well they did, as the mole was heading straight for the electricity supply cable, which was buried exactly where they thought it wasn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back