Adhesive for bathroom porcelain floor tiles on wooden floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if you would be able to recommend a tile adhesive to be used with an uneven wooden floor (varying depth of timber planks). The plumber who installed my bathroom suite set the bath to a height that took into consideration a plywood level of ~6 mm (height is set for the side panel of the bath) plus 10 mm porcelain floor tile and ~3 mm adhesive.

I hope to keep the 'step' into the bathroom as low as possible as however I guess it doesn't matter too much as I can put a sloped piece of wood before the tiles in the bathroom.

So i have looked a couple of sites and as an example Bal Rapidset Flexible requires a plywood depth of 15mm. This would also require the plywood to be primed with Bal Primer 1LTR. Would the plywood still need to be a special type (WBP as metioned here)? Or if the Ply was WBP would it still need the Primer?

Is 15 mm (ply) + 3mm (adhesive) + 10mm (tile) the lowest i can get the 'step' or is there another type of adhesive that will require less height?

And another quick question is if porcelain is a ceramic ... then can I use any adhesive that says 'Ceramic' as long as it does not say 'Not porcelain'?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back