Insulation for an open pitched ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The main room of our house is an old barn that was converted about 15 years ago and the heat loss is horrendous! It is an open ceiling with exposed rafters and joists at approximately 2m intervals along the room. There is approximately 100mm depth from existing plasterboard ceiling to the base of the rafter.

From where I can get access to the roof space, I have found scant evidence of insulation! However, it does appear that there is the 50mm airgap between the tiles and the plasterboard of the ceiling. There is a membrane on the underside of the tiles.

It seems the concensus is to put Kingspan in between the rafters, and then further Kingspan over the rafters, however, that would remove all the character from the room.

So, here are the questions!

1. Would it be feasible to secure, say, 50mm Kingspan to the existing plasterboard ceiling, then plasterboard over this. Thus retaining some of the exposed rafters?

2. As an alternative, I am considering a reflective insulation foil (something like Astro-Foil). Again, same principle, securing it to the existing plasterboard, then a 20mm airgap, and then new plasterboard. This is my preferred option as it seems easier to install and we loose less of the depth of the rafters.

We also have underfloor heating in this room so am thinking a reflective insulation would be better, giving even performance?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back