Decking protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I layed decking around 2 years ago. It's now gone a faded grey colour and I suppose I should start thinking about protecting it from the elements; both sun and rain. I was planning on just using some 'shed and fence' type stuff but having read the labels of Cuprinol/Ronseal etc, they all say that it is for sawn wood only and not suitable for decking. I then came across the actual decking protection but it was £30 for 2.5L .....as opposed to £8 for 5L of the shed and fence stuff.
Can anyone tell my why I cannot use a basic treatment for decking or is it just Ronseal/Cuprinol just trying to squeeze a few more quid out of me. I've used shed n fence stuff on some eased edge/planed wood on some raised borders and seems to be doing as it sholud.
The area I need to treat is 45 sq metres so don't want shell out too much if I don't need to. Any knowledge on this would be welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do not use a Decking Stain .
I did and had to keep repainting it each year .

I was advised on here to use Decking Oil which soaks in and protects rather than sitting on top like stain does which then peels after the weather has got to it .!!

I scraped the stain off mine and have now redone the Deck with Oil .

Decking Oil.

Go to Screwfix.

They sell the Cuprinol stuff in three different shades and only charge about £22 for a 5 litre can, which is supposed to cover 50-60 M2.

PS. I don't work for Screwfix, they just seem to be one the cheapest for this product!

Sponsored Links
I agree - decking oil. I bought my house last year and the previous owner used shed & fence treatment on the decking - what a mess! It's not tough enough to take foot traffic and just wears off in patches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back