roof trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Having a bit of loft/roof trouble on a house late 1960s - which I think I've posted in the right forum.
From looking at the stickies etc it looks like a major part of the problem is probably condensation in the loft space.
Moved into the place about 6 months ago, and I think the soffits had been re-done fairly recently (12 months-ish). Loft space was fine when we moved in and ok to Christmas. When I went up about March, I found some changes. :eek:
Please see the pic. View media item 11308I believe the felt in the roof is called Sarking (from the survey we had at the time, and is not breathable).

We had a roofer look at the roof and we have some broken tiles which over the years had allowed the battens to rot badly in places. We have since had circa 20 tiles replaced and the battens re-done where they rotted.

The some questions I have are:

1) There is a white salty substance coming through the felt in places. Any ideas what could cause this?

2) If the white mould spots on the joists that have recently started are due to condensation, how is increased ventilation best achieved?
Would a roofer be needed to put some vents into the soffits, or is it more crude than that and he/I just drill some holes ?

3) Any advice on products that can be used to treat the mould to remove what has been produced so far? Or is it not needed once the root of the problem has been addressed?

Any help on these areas appreciated. Causing some concern :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back