Wireless colour CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to get something sorted out that's not too expensive.

Need 2 x 1 camera that are colour and preferably wireless.

Can get away with having one hard wired. The other has to be wireless.

Looking ideally to locate one inside of a house facing out of windows and the other mounted externally. Both can be inside if need be.

Both need to be good at night time for at least 10-15 metres (or thereabouts) although there are security lights to brighten the place up a bit more. There is power sources at both locations

The only other thing I can think of is been able to record on either one if I need to.

I can't really think of any other functions at the moment but if anyone knows of any, then shout up so it only needs to be done the once

Sponsored Links
Your main decision is whether or not you should use IP cameras instead of CCTV cameras. My personal view is that you would get a lot more functionality out of IP Cameras, but there are many things that you need to take into consideration.

If you want to log into some IP cameras, let me know as I have several demo cameras available for viewing from my web site.

Do your homework before making a purchase ;)

Thanks for your reply :D

I had a quick look at IP cameras. Won't led's glare on the window distorting the picture? I know I'll get that from all led type camera's. If that's the case, then fine :D but then I'd need to mount it externally. The only issue I have there is that I wouldn't want the neighbours thinking that I'm looking at them. So it'd need to be very discreet.

Also, will they work through a normal tv or just a PC/Laptop?

One of the side benefits of CCTV is its deterrent value. Scroats don't like it so are more likely to visit someone else. If that happens, then job done.

Has for neighbours, don't worry about them. Just don't point them straight into the busty blondes bedroom.

What you haven't said is what you intend to record the footage onto.

Sponsored Links
I bought this yesterday:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=224315

I took it back 5 minutes after setting it up. The picture quality was very poor and it was B&W more than colour!

I also bought this for another area of the house:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228195

The picture quality is pretty good and far better than the above. I just need to mount it outside.

Both main rooms that I'm usually in are at the back of the house, that's why I need 2 cameras. One for upstairs and the other downstairs. Downstairs needs to be wireless as I've got wooden floors and can't hide cables anywhere.

Surely the downstairs cameras are cabled through the ceiling, or are you mounting them on the floor?

The upstairs camera cable will go through the ceiling down to your viewing area won't it?

No, the upstairs cable has already been channeled an now installed. It was in lieu of another camera which I replaced yesterday. All I need to do is drill a hole through the brickwork to get the camera mounted outside. That's no big deal, when I get my ladders back.

The downstairs is prefered wireless as the whole floor is wooden (not laminated) and the walls are also wooden in the lounge so hence putting wired in will be a bit of a pain, if you get my drift? :D

Must say i'm struggling to see the benefits, if any, you may get from this.

With all due respect, the cameras are naff, you've not made provision, as far as i can tell, of any decent recording unit (DVR).
Not sure what you hope to achieve from installing them.

you need a USB DVR so you can record onto your pc,there about a tenner on ebay and work well with windows xp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back