Roof overhang missing - correction needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am self-building a house with pantile tile roof. On the 8th (and final) visit, after I completed the roof, the 3rd NHBC inspector spotted a portion of the roof that does not overhang like this:
They want me to put it right with a piece of wood and lead sheet over it, which in turn is tucked under the tiles like this:
If the only concern is that water can go into the gap between the board and bricks, then I say that this solution is an overkill. This is not an exposed area of the country. Apart from this it means disturbing the work that has already been carried out and lead sheet always looks ugly to me, let alone this solution.
What I want to do is just cover the gap with the wood. It will look less ugly and will not disturb the work already done:

Any suggestions about these solutions or others?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The verge needs to be at a minimum 40 mm overhang if you don't already know but without seeing it from all angles would it not be possible to strip the tiles out and extend the tiles and cement work out an extra 40 mm rather than messing around with lead.

I can't make the drawings out that well on my computer but what i can make out neither drawing looks right as an alternative to increasing the overhang.

I know that the 40mm overhang is what should have been done. I am really talking credit crunch here. Stripping the tiles or affecting the work already done is what I do not want to do. That is why I am asking for advice on a solution to seal the gap where water could go in rather than go back and so the overhang. I am trying to think laterally. The NHBC are prepared to hear from me an alternative cheaper solution (it is their fault anyhow), if they accept it then everybody happy

can you tell us why it is the fault of the NHBC that your verges have zero oversail?.

if you can tell us the type of tiles you have it may be possible to strip out the verges and replace them with cloaked verge tiles.

engineering in a 40mm verge as per your sketches would be unsightly to say the least. posting a pic of the roof would give a better idea as to the best solution.

Sponsored Links
can you tell us how it is the fault of the NHBC that your verges have zero oversail?.
Thats what I want to know! A decent overhang is essential and good practice NHBC or not. TBH I think the NHBC solution is pretty ugly but your's is even worse, when the seal between the timber and the wall fails you may get eventually get leaks into the top of the wall, not that the NHBC is a lot better although I'd say it is. However this is the problem with bodging it, the proper albeit more costly soultion is to fit a dry verge system with the right overhang. What about if you find a PVC trim that fits over the top of everything and comes down lower than the batten to hide that too? In a 'C' shape.

These are all good ideas but depending on how many verges you have to correct i can't see why extending your verge is not the cheapest way to solve your problem.Lead is expensive and for everything apart from the last suggestion of the plastic facing you'll have to strip it out anyway.

looks like what you have done looks neat but just incorrect just whip it out. :D

The NHBC are there for a reason not to be a nuicence but to make sure most things are done to a certain standard.

Plastic barge boards will cover it.

Why does it need to overhang anyway?

The overhang is designed to keep the water from running down the face of the verge and it stops the water from soaking through where the cement compound board meets the wall and running down the wall head and into the inside the house.You could seal it but it's common practice to give a minimum of 40 mm overhang unless as alaistarreid suggested using cloak verge which in my eyes is a nice finish.

Personaly if i was doing the roof anything else suggested apart from extending the verge,putting on cloak tiles or dry verge units is unacceptable and would look crap.

apart from extending the verge,putting on cloak tiles or dry verge units is unacceptable and would look crap.

absoloutely wholeheartedly agree with that statement vancleef!! it looks like a lovely tidy job from what we can see in the pics, why botch it at the final hurdle. :confused:

I discussed the dry verge option with them today. They insist on an overhang "The 40/50 mm overhang will protect the whole wall from driving rain soaking it" they said. Yeah right, more like 10 cm under the verge.

Anyway, here are the pictures people asked to see:

Why is it the NHBC's fault? because they carried out 3 inspections while I was building the roof, because they gave me a stage certificate approving the roof stage, because I decided that I would only remove the scaffolding once I had their (and the Council's) approval for the roof stage, because they carried out another 5/6 inspections after the roof was built and because they spotted it when they took a casual walk around the house on the day of the final inspection on something unrelated to the roof, that's why. They told me today: "we cannot spot everything", I said "if you -the experts- cannot spot everything, what chance have I got?"

Why is it the NHBC's fault? because they carried out 3 inspections while I was building the roof, because they gave me a stage certificate approving the roof stage, because I decided that I would only remove the scaffolding once I had their (and the Council's) approval for the roof stage, because they carried out another 5/6 inspections after the roof was built and because they spotted it when they took a casual walk around the house on the day of the final inspection on something unrelated to the roof, that's why. They told me today: "we cannot spot everything", I said "if you -the experts- cannot spot everything, what chance have I got?"
Does it not state it as a requirement in the NHBC standards then? Do you have a copy? Tis one of the pitfalls of being a self builder, you have to educate yourself and assume nothing.

you can engineer something like this which should satisfy bc.
creating a 40/50mm overhang without touching the existing work shouldnt be to difficult given the amounts of different profiled building plastics on the market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back