Roofing and Guttering: tapered lead gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of building a small extension to a bungalow which requires a 3.5m tapered lead gutter. The 2 roof slopes are 17.5 degrees with an existing gable at the gutter head.

I have read the info' in Rolled Lead Sheet by the Lead Sheet Association and think I understand the basics (!). I have done some less complex leadwork (years ago) and intend to have a go at this myself.

My question is which one of the following approaches would be best
a) 3 bays (top 2 with rolls) of 1.2m approx in code 5 or,
b) 2 bays (top 1 with roll) of 1.8m approx in code 6
or is there a better way? Hope this makes sense.

Opinions gratefully received

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi. If you make the sole of gutter 150mm at lowest end and apply min fall of 1:80 and a 55mm drip at 1850 mm back from discharge point, this will allow you to complete the work in code 5, you will however need a roll on the top bay, the most important thing to remember is to only fix/nail the lead at to head (top edge at highest points of bays) and that when tiles are fitted no fixings through lead. ( If over fixed, movement is restricted which over time will lead to fatigue and failure. Good luck

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I was a bit unsure about going close to the length limit on code 5 (2m ?), bit over cautious perhaps. Note your comments on fixing.

Incidentally I've seen your (well I think its you), excellent lead burning/working videos on YouTube. Very helpful.

Thanks again

(apologies to administrator for posting error: hope this is right)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back