Overgrown lumpy garden no back access woes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya gardeners!!
Just a little question I wonder if you could help me with:

I recently bought a house that has a a nightmare back garden; all overgrown and lumpety bumpety (all 100 ft of it). The bumps and pits are very large and there is concrete toward the top. Also I have no back access so can't get a digger in.

I was told by a friend to kill the lot chemicaly, break out the concrete and hire a small rotavotor (that will come through the house) to start all over again.

I have two questions: Do you think this is the best way of doing things and has anyone else had a similar experience I could draw from?

Thanks for your time, Tony.

Sponsored Links
Certainly getting a clean canvas is a good idea if you can, but not sure about chemicals. Think it's probably best to section it up and deal with one section a year for the next few years. That way you can learn and improve through you experience, doing each section properly, and stand some chance of enjoying part of the garden, whilst giving yourself opportunities to design and finance each section carefully.

I take it there is no side access either then if you have to get the rotivator through the house?

terraced?

by law there should be an alleyway of some sorts for fire escape reasons if you can't go out the front door.. could you not get a minidigger through there?

through the neighbours gardens if it's not too far?

crane one over the roof? ok that last one was getting silly... :)

I take it there is no side access either then if you have to get the rotivator through the house?

terraced?

by law there should be an alleyway of some sorts for fire escape reasons if you can't go out the front door.. could you not get a minidigger through there?

through the neighbours gardens if it's not too far?

crane one over the roof? ok that last one was getting silly... :)

It's an ex-council property with not access to the rear garden any other way than through the house. There are several million of these types of property in the country, not sure where we all stand legally if what you say it true!!

Thanks for the reply though.

Can i Rotivate withouth killing the area. For example use a brush cutter to chop it short and then turn it all over?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. There is no way a digger will get through the house. My best hope is a rotivator. However I have heard through the grapevine that it is comparable in price to have a rotivator and a man for the day than just hiring a rotivator for the day.
This sounds a little far fetched to me! Anyone else heard this?

if he's got his own rotivator then you don't have to pay to hire it, you pay the guy for his labour, so sounds about right..

go down the dole queue and coller a few of the less "long termer" looking ones and see if they wanna make a quick couple of bucks..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back