changing a normal fluorescent to an emergency fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anybody know off any good websites thats gives a detailed drawing of how to change a normal fluorescent to a emergency one?

Sponsored Links
You just need to have a permanent live, a switch live, aneutral and an earth at each fitting.
Test switch which kills both the permanent and switch live is also a good idea.
If the unit is to be left on 24/7 then you can get away without the switched live.

If your talking about keeping the existing fitting & making it an emergency lighting one, this is relatively easy to do.

However you need to decide what sort (maintained/non maintained) and buy some new bits for inside.

What is the backup power supply going to be?

If your after a battery backup one then you need to change the innards to include an electronic conversion module that can also run off batteries.

like one of these:
bigconversions.jpg

They usually have a wiring diagram on top of them.

Wired like this pic:
Inverters_diagram_main.gif

Usually means ripping out the guts of whats in there & replacing it all.

Hello.

Depending on the type of installation and how it is wired etc, would mounting a 'stand alone' emergency fitting coupled to the existing be an option ?

Just wondering. :eek:

Ed

Sponsored Links
does anybody know off any good websites thats gives a detailed drawing of how to change
a normal fluorescent to a emergency one?
I'm assuming you want a non-maintained fitting if it is still to be used for lighting in normal mode too?

I'm assuming you want a non-maintained fitting if it is still to be used for lighting in normal mode too?

Pinched from http://www.abbamechatronics.co.uk/emergency_security_lighting.htm

Non Maintained:- This method of operation has the emergency lamp off when the mains are healthy and when the mains fail the lamp is then illuminated from the battery and control equipment. Restoration of the mains switches the lamp off and automatically recharges the battery ready for the next failure. Sustained luminaires with additional mains circuit are legistively regarded as non maintained.

Maintained:- This type of operation works the same as the non maintained but in addition the lamp can also be used then the mains is healthy. To provide the power for this a separate connection has to be made, this supply can be switched bringing the light on and off when the mains is healthy. If the mains fail the batteries supply the lamp like non maintained units

Self contained emergency luminaire is a luminaire or sign providing maintained or non maintained emergency lighting in which all the elements such as battery, the lamp and the control unit are contained within the housing or within 1 metre of the housing.

Have I got myself all mixed up again on maintained and non-maintained? :LOL:

I was thinking of the flourescent fittings where you switch them on/off as normal on a healthy mains supply but two tubes comes on when there is power failure... :oops:

I think that Kevin needs to return to the thread & clarify what he wants to do.

There is a difference between the stated "how to change a normal fluorescent to a emergency one" and "how to change a normal fluorescent for an emergency one".

The latter indicates changing the fitting for another where the stated one indicates that the fitting itself needs to be converted into an emergency light fitting.

A very common thing when it needs to match existing fittings.[/b]

sorry people i havent been at a computer to reply, i just have normal fluorescent lights but want to convert them to emergency fittings, which i know means replacing the guts of a fitting but was wondering does anyone know of any good websites that show how it is done?

screw one of them things shown in the picture above, into the fitting, take the 4 wires that to to the ends of the lamp and put them into th thing you just screwed in, connect 4 new wires to the lamp from the thing you just screwed in, and connect the mains to it..

It depends on what make you buy - some still keep the old switch start system:
I'll also advsie you to use the proper type of wire as used in fluorescent fittings, it isn't that expensive - think I picked a roll up from CPC for about £7 a few years ago.

An emergency fitting will need to comply with the minimum working time will you have enough battery capacity for this?

The modifications I bought a while back was supplied as a kit - including a battery pack. I think it was 3hr duration however but was only to provide light in a toilet. The light isn't as bright as it is on mains so the lux levels may need to be checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back