adding a new light to cupboard under stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.
I have located existing junction box, do i run cable from junction box to new ceiling rose..then a further cable from rose to switch. If this is the case...why doesnt the rose have any terninals in it ?? Have i gone mad.

Sponsored Links
If you can pick up a live / Nuetral & Earth from the junction box then ..Yes, you can run them to the ceiling rose then a cable down to the switch.
Re: 'no terminals in rose' ... buy one with the loop-in connector

alexnic said:
If you can pick up a live / Nuetral & Earth from the junction box then ..Yes, you can run them to the ceiling rose then a cable down to the switch.
Re: 'no terminals in rose' ... buy one with the loop-in connector

Thanks Alexnic, that explains everything !
I wasnt aware I could get hold of a Different rose. The expert electrician in the local suppliers didn't share that with me. He told me to wire from the junction box to the switch...then from the switch to the ceiling rose !!

Count yourself lucky he told you anything. Some trade suppliers will now only sell members of the public what they ask for, but will not give advice in case they sue when they misunderstand the details and end up electrocuting themselves. :cry:

Sponsored Links
amtodd said:
Count yourself lucky he told you anything. Some trade suppliers will now only sell members of the public what they ask for, but will not give advice in case they sue when they misunderstand the details and end up electrocuting themselves. :cry:

Very funny. Will e - mail you from hospital ! (maybe he didnt like me)

Re: 'The expert electrician in the local suppliers didn't share that with me. He told me to wire from the junction box to the switch...then from the switch to the ceiling rose !!'

That is an option and if the junction box is nearer to the switch then it would be easier. If you go for this then it will be a nuetral joint behind the switch (2-blacks connected via a 5-amp connector block) and there would be no need for the loop-in connector on the ceiling rose! ...your choice!

Thanks for eveyones help.What a web site...fantastic. Job done...not electrocuted, & the good wife has no excuse for not being able to find the vacuum cleaner now !
Thank you again.

An impressive idea (the posted link) Breezer, just what I need for a future project. Just ordered it, thanks alot :D

Regarding the above I have now recieved the 2amp, 250v 60w switch and
there are are only connections for live and neutral so no earth can be used. It is a long way to the nearest light switch but there is a single socket just outside the cuboard door, I am intending powering the bulkhead light through this by using a fused spur wired into the socket. All seems well but I am concerned with the '2amp' tag on the switch....it came with no instructions!!!!. Can I safely do what I intend?.

Yes, you can, but you do not connect a neutarl or earth to it, you "split" the live so that one side comes from the spur the other side goes to the lamp

....and the neutral & earth goes straight from the spur to the light. Brilliant, thanks alot Breezer (again!), hope I can return the favour and help you out one day, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back