Lead flashing split - is flashing tape too much of a bodge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

First, sorry if this has been covered a million times already. I did search a bit!

I have a gulley between a slate roof and a wall which has a large-ish area of lead flashing in it (about 2m by 0.5m?). This has developed a couple of ridges, one of which has a crack in it which is letting in water. The damaged area involved is really small - about a 10-15cm crack. The quick fix of choice seems to be flashing tape, but I hear talk of it being good for a couple of years only, and, as I have a talent for cracking slates, I'd rather not be up there that often.

Is flashing tape really such a bodge, or can I effect a reasonable repair with it?
Is there a better solution that a (willing) DIY-er like me can cope with?
Should I ring a professional to get the flashing replaced?

Thanks all.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is flashing tape really such a bodge, or can I effect a reasonable repair with it?
Well if it was any good why would anyone bother using proper materials and fixing them properly? We could cover whole rooves with tape?

Squirt a load of good quality silicone (or better still Roofers Mate) into , and around the crack, and then squash some flashband on it, and you will have a repair that could potentially last many years.

But the crack is due to the expansion/contraction of the lead, and so the lead will most likely continue to move and crack further

Sponsored Links
In my line of profesion i'm sick of people bodging valley's up with crap such as sealants and tape such as flash band.......ok it'll last a year or two if your lucky but when that point comes you'll have the same problem again.Do it properly and you can forget about it.The only way to patch it is in two ways without stripping the whole thing out.

1. Strip the slates round the split.
You cut it straight across the split so it's completley in two pieces then with a piece of lead matching the same width as your valley and at least 300 mm long ,slide under the top part nailing it at the very top of the patch ensuring you have 150 mm cover from old over new and put it over the bottom part making sure you have the same 150 mm cover.
If its into the wall you'll have to take out and put it in the way it came out depending if the origional has been put in two pieces with the valley being put in with a seperate flashing being raggled into the wall.

2. If the lead is in good condition it and is no longer than a 1.5 metre piece it can be welded by a profesional using a Seteline and oxygen mix which can be done by most plumbers and some roofers.

I'm also gonna start a ban Flashband(cowboy roofer's mate)petition!!! :LOL:

Hi. The need to repair being the result of over length and or over fixed. It can take many years to develop to the situation you are experiencing. As Vancleef suggests, cut out the area affected and weld in a piece of "T Pren" basically lead sheet bonded to a neoprene rubber like material that will allow movement with out fatigue. There are lead workers in your area who would carry out this work. It carries a 25 year guarantee and BAA approved. Damage to sheet lead gutters is sometimes caused by slates slipping down the roof and puncturing the sheet lead, in this case insurance some times pay. Good Luck

Agrees with alisterreid. Just tape over any large cracks then cover with Acrypol. It wont last forever but is cheap/easy and better than just tape.

Thanks everyone (well, nearly everyone!). Hugely appreciated.
I'll go away and have a long, hard think and let you know how I got on (assuming I'm not too ashamed of myself) . ;)

and dont get that acrypol on your clothes.........it doesnt come out!. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back