cookerhood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im fitting a cookerhood but unsure how to wire it up.can i spur off a switched fused connection unit from a socket on the ring main and from the fcu to an unswitched socket (which will be hidden behind the extractor)and if so what size cable should i run from the fcu and what size fuse should be used?

Sponsored Links
so long as you spur from the LOAD side of the fcu yes you can, fuse size depends on what the manufacturer says, also, this determines cable size, and dont put socket behind hood, how will you un plug it?

i wanted to keep the unswitched socket hidden with the plug left in permanantly connected ,then i could just switch it off at the switched fused connection unit ,also the fcu that i have has a 13 amp fuse in it does this mean i can use a 2.5mm cable run from the fcu to the unswitched socket?

If you ever need access to that point, you don't want to rip out the hood to get to it. Can't you surface-mount the flex-outlet on the bridging unit above it or adjacent to it?

What would happen if the fuse in the plug went, in preference to the one in the spur?

You haven't taken in what Breezer said about fuse sizes. Use the one the mfrs recommend, usually 3A. This means you could use 1.00mm T & E to link between the load terms of the spur and the appliance. Don't just use a 13A one because it has one already.

Sponsored Links
doh! its all become apparantly clear to me now thanks for the tips :oops:

I'm in a similar situation - the hood recommends a 3A fuse - which is fine, but does it need to be a 3A fuse in the plug on the hood, or in the FCU? Or both? Does it matter as long as one of them has a 3A fuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back