Cutting solid wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have tried searching for this as I'm sure it must have been covered but could not find an answer.

I'm going to be replacing our laminate floor with a solid oak floor, I have a couple of tricky areas I need advice on.

Firstly around my stairs:

As you can see there is a big curve, what do I do here? Is it a cas of getting a jigsaw and cutting it round, but then how do I finish it becuse obviously I can't use quad to cover the expansion gap etc??

Then hows about around little awkward areas like this by the door jam:

Excuse the dog hair lol.

Lastly I will be tiling in the downstaire toilet, it looks to me like the installers just cut the laminate around the toilet and sink bottom bit (don't know what its called). What should I do with the tiles, I presume its better to go under the toilet? But how do you get the tile to dry without putting the wieght of the toilet on it? I don't want to take the toilet out.

Hows about the sink support, Its pretty hard to lift that up with the sink installed!

Thanks

Paul.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Can't you undercut the stairs? (We normally do that, if possible) Then your 'round' cut doesn't have to be exact, plus your floor will have enough expansion gap there too.
Same with the door posts.

toilet: best is still to lift the pan and install the floor just a bit further than where the pan edge would be. (Only possible if outlet of toilet is flexible). Then after you put the pan back seal edge of with transparent silicon.

Thanks for the quick relly WYL!

Erm undercut the stairs? You men try and do it with a hand saw?

We use our professional tool (fein-master) for this, but a hand-saw works too

Sponsored Links
Hmm, can you get wood cutting attachments for a normal grinder, would that work?

Thinking I prob couldnt get a saw in the door jam bit

bennett - the cutter that fits into an angle grinder is called an Arbortech Tuff Cut Blade (£34 from www.axminster.co.uk). Works well for this type of job but it's dusty and have a practice go first as the tool can 'run away' on you. Geta cheapo hardpoint hand saw (from one of the sheds) to do the door cuts and then chisel (get a cheapo ½" chisel when buying the saw) to cut the waste away. Tip: to get the saw cut in the correct position invert a length of your new flooring (an offcut will do) and use this to rest the handsaw on when cutting - this acts as a guide. Assumes you've taken up the laminate stuff before you do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back