slate roof underside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i was looking in the loft space tonight and noticed a large number of patches of daylight visible horizontally through my roof at the joins between slates

the roof is unlined slate and approx 80 yrs old. i've had a roofer out to repair the lead flashing around the chimney breast and he said my roof was in good condition, however viewing this has got me concerned... is it something to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Hi. Designed to stop rain not sunshine. I was put off buying a house, as when viewing the loft it was like a starry night, that was thirty years ago. I have just done some work for the owner of this property. (a bit of lead flashing) I reminisced, only to be told the roof did not leak and had not been touched during the thirty year period. Good Luck

thanks for the reply

i was leaning on your side of the argument as i have had no real problems with the roof at all apart from some missing chimney flashing.

thanks

1958 was about when they started fitting felt to roofs, mOST SLATE ROOF ARE BEFORE THAT so not surprised that there is none.
You can have it stripped and felted (well membraned these days), but normally a few slates are lost and new wood slats required at the same time. Sealed with certain products and breather tiles fitted, but do not be tempted to foam the inside if there are gaps. Not really DIY jobs sorry.

Sponsored Links
Agrees with other posts. I have worked on many properties with feltless roofs you will always see a bit of daylight.

If you are in doubt why not put some sheets of old newspaper on the loft floor under the areas you are worried about. You can check them for water after a spell of rain.

hi
i was looking in the loft space tonight and noticed a large number of patches of daylight visible horizontally through my roof at the joins between slates

the roof is unlined slate and approx 80 yrs old. i've had a roofer out to repair the lead flashing around the chimney breast and he said my roof was in good condition, however viewing this has got me concerned... is it something to worry about?

Hi MPaton2009,

I have to agree with the other posts. One thing that has failed to be mentioned though I think is that those gaps let out heat. It's inevitable. Loss of heat means higher energy bills.

Certainly a good slate roof should last 100 years or so but if it hasn't been maintained properly the nails are likely to be rotten, slates will be cracked etc and a none leaking roof becomes a leaking roof.

My advice given you stated it's 80 years old, get it looked at. Consider all options and if you choose to re roof, I would suggest insulating and applying a membrane to reduce future bills.

Feel free to have a look at some examples of poor slate roofs. http://ahbroofsandlofts.co.uk/gallery/

thanks for all replies!

i am not overly keen on large insulation of old roof voids , as good ventilation is crucial (currently there's a nice steady wind going through the space) - a few quid wasted on heating could save thousands on rotten timber replacements!

i had 5 cracked slates replaced, the ridge tiles pointed and the roofer said it was in great nick... i'll see how i get on, not noticed any damp spots on the ceilings so i guess it's doing OK!

I agree with nickbetsy, your most like problem will be rusty nails. I had a similar thing about 20 years ago, slates were good but some were slipping. I had all the slates removed, new felt & laths and replaced the slates. Needed about 5% of reclaimed slates to replace damaged ones. Cost then for a large semi was £3000.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back