Retaining wall question for a newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am trying to sort out my garden this year, I say this year as I have been putting it off for the last 2 as i dont know where to start!

You will see in the photo that it is very over grown. The soil that meets the path on the right is about a foot lower than the bottom of the fence and all i want to do is put in some sleepers or similar to raise the soil level so it is flat and then turf it ( I can't lower the soil at the fence as that will expose next doors soil, I live on a hill)

DSC00990.jpg

In my head its quite simple but I dont have the foggiest idea how to get rid of the jungle that is there at the moment, i have dug it up several times over the past couple of years but it all keeps coming back! Or how to lay the sleepers properly, how will i get them to be fixed permenantly and support the soil?

Any help appreciated as for me mowing the 1 good part of grass i do have is 'Advanced gardening'!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Tell yer what I'd do:

1) Take up that nasty concrete path and take up your lawn.
2) Dig out all the rubbish from the flower bed and rake the soil all over the new area (the whole garden) so it's nice and level.
3) Take the fence down (keep the panels).
4) Fit a new slotted concrete fence posts and gravelboards. Ensure the top of the gravel boards are level or a little higher than your neighbours lawn. Slot your panels back in.
5) Re-turf or seed the whole garden and put in some random stepping stones up to your outbuilding.

Quick, easy, cheap, low maintenance.

The path is staying where it is, its about 2ft deep the whole way along!!

What would be the best way to support Sleepers?

Sponsored Links
They dont need support - lay them on the soil once you have levelled it, or better still, on a dry bed of sand/cement which will settle them in and harden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back