More Consumer Units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the other comments on consumer units/ overloading / maximum demand etc, but am still not 100% certain what it all amounts to. It seems to me the Regs say diversity cannot be applied at a C/U, but the NICEIC say a certain ammount of diversity can be applied. I appreciate there are no hard and fast rules, and the Regs can be vague at the best of times, but can someone please help clarify?

Sponsored Links
Got a copy of both, SwindonSpark. Why, have I missed something obvious that is staring me in the face.

the diversity guidelines are just that guidelines

they don't take account of the fact that more cuircuits don't nessacerally mean more demand (think up/down ring vs one big ring vs 4 20A radials) neither do more sockets nessacerally mean more demand (just less extention leads)

normal practice is to size CU incomers and tails based on the value of the service fuse (based on the fact that if that fuse becomes prone to blowing there are going to have to be major changes round the CU area anyway)

Sponsored Links
TraineeSpark, read Appendix 1 of the On-Site Guide (page 84) - all will become clear.

SwindonSpark and PlugWash, thank you guys for clearing all this up for me. It was pretty much as I thought it to be, but I now see where my element of confusion came in. On-Site Guide, App 1, Table 1b, lists all the applicable Allowances for Diversity, but there is a little add-on at the bottom which goes on to say "It is important to ensure... sufficient rating to take total load... without application of diversity." I now see that that only applies to stat controlled water heaters, floor warming, and thermal storage space heating, and not the entire Table. How daft do I now feel :oops: Anyway, thanks again gents for taking the time to answer my question.

TraineeSpark said:
I have read the other comments on consumer units/ overloading / maximum demand etc, but am still not 100% certain what it all amounts to. It seems to me the Regs say diversity cannot be applied at a C/U, but the NICEIC say a certain ammount of diversity can be applied. I appreciate there are no hard and fast rules, and the Regs can be vague at the best of times, but can someone please help clarify?

ibforman - ne reason so post to this thread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back