Philips DAB Radio wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Philips DAB Radio, the website info said it had a AC/DC socket, I was hoping to use the radio in my van and therefore I also purchased a cigarette lighter 3-12v convertor.

Do you think I could fit a 2.5mm Jack plug socket into/onto the back of the radio so I could plug it in whilst in my van. I realise I would have to wire in the socket to the output side of the transformer.

Does anyone know if its possible?

Your thoughts would be useful!

Many thanks

Phill

Sponsored Links
Surely you're better buying a mains inverter & running the radio off that?

Sponsored Links
On info it says AC/DC Socket, to me I would think it may have both 230v and a 12v?

Philips AE5000/05 Portable DAB Radio

you appear to be guessing.

like us

Why not read the manufacturer's instructions and/or ask them?

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=AE5000/05&scy=GB&slg=en

it says "Contact & Support"

I don't even own one of the things, but I can see the manual says:

"Power Supply General Information

• Do not mix battery types: e.g. alkaline with carbon
zinc. Only use batteries of the same type
for the set.
• When inserting new batteries, do not try to mix
old batteries with the new ones.
• Remove the batteries if the set is not to be used
for a long time.
Batteries contain chemical substances, so
they should be disposed of properly.

Using AC power
1 Check if the power voltage, as shown on
the type plate located on the rear of
the set, corresponds to your local power
supply. If it does not, consult your dealer or
service center.
2 Connect the supplied power cord to the AC
MAINS (located on the rear panel) and the
wall socket.The set is now connected and
ready for use.
3 To switch the set off completely, withdraw the
power cord from the wall socket.
• Install the unit near the AC outlet and where
the power plug can be easily reached.
• Disconnect the power cord from the wall
socket to protect your set during heavy thunderstorms.
• AC power cord is used as the disconnect
device. It shall remain readily operable and
should not be obstructed during intended
use.To be completely disconnected the apparatus
from supply mains, the power cord of
the apparatus shall be disconnected from the
mains socket outlet completely."

no mention of a 12v input.

Well, you've got the radio and I haven't.

I've looked at the product information on the Philips website & the user manual (you've got this too??)

As far as i can see you can power the product from the mains or from 6 x 1.5v batteries (=9volts). Where is the DC socket situated, What does it say on it?

If there is a DC socket then I would expect that its for a 9volt DC power adaptor. You're best asking Philips support. There's a phone number and a web form for queries on the web site.

Edit: Darn you JD. Too slow

Sorry about the duplicate post :oops: was not sure what place would be suit best.

Phill

my dab radio just has one input socket, it does not have a 240v input as such , as it uses a transformer built into the plug casing to change from 240v ac, down to a lower voltage, read off of that plug what the output is to the radio.
Mine is 9volt DC.
The instructions may say a wider voltage range can be used.

Why not leave this radio at home and get a proper DAB converter add-on for your existing car radio, they are designed for the job.

The reason for getting a DAB radio to plug into the car was due to UPS Delivery vans standard radios are removed (told one less thing to go wrong) :LOL:

They fill the hole in the dash wire the Tacko :rolleyes:

Like I said I was hoping to plug it in via the cigarette lighter so I could take it home with me ;)

Been in touch with Philips and they do not have the load rating for the Radio :evil:

:idea: May take a peek inside the unit to see if I cab run it up via an adpator, may also do a amp test to see how much it draws

You should be able to do what you are suggesting, although not wired to the output of the transformer as that would be AC out also.

Direct onto the wires that the battery terminals are soldered onto would be perhaps your best bet.

Use a switched 2.5mm DC socket.
Like this
Leave the black wire in place on the battery terminals & solder the ground tab wire from the jack to this.

Then disconnect the red wire from the battery terminal and connect it to the switch/tip terminal that is connected when the jack plug is inserted.

Then run a new red cable from the switched socket terminal that will be disconnected when the jack is inserted, to the battery connector where the previous red wire went.

This way, when you have batteries in it for portable use it will work, when you then plug a 9V supply into it (from your 3-12vDC cigarette lighter adapter) it will disconnect the batteries & power it from the van.
This will also protect any batteries that are in the radio from being charged & possibly exploding.

Adding an inline fuse might be a good idea although not essential.
Ditto a reverse polarity diode on the socket.
(check if there is one already for the batteries.)

Using the above socket also makes it not appear as an earphone socket.

NOTE: This will invalidate your warranty.

You should be able to do what you are suggesting, although not wired to the output of the transformer as that would be AC out also.

Direct onto the wires that the battery terminals are soldered onto would be perhaps your best bet.

Use a switched 2.5mm DC socket.
Like this
Leave the black wire in place on the battery terminals & solder the ground tab wire from the jack to this.

Then disconnect the red wire from the battery terminal and connect it to the switch/tip terminal that is connected when the jack plug is inserted.

Then run a new red cable from the switched socket terminal that will be disconnected when the jack is inserted, to the battery connector where the previous red wire went.

This way, when you have batteries in it for portable use it will work, when you then plug a 9V supply into it (from your 3-12vDC cigarette lighter adapter) it will disconnect the batteries & power it from the van.
This will also protect any batteries that are in the radio from being charged & possibly exploding.

Adding an inline fuse might be a good idea although not essential.
Ditto a reverse polarity diode on the socket.
(check if there is one already for the batteries.)

Using the above socket also makes it not appear as an earphone socket.

NOTE: This will invalidate your warranty.

This is my kind of answer :)

Im off to Maplins... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back