System Types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just interested, what exactly is a TT system?

Ive seen differnt types mentioned.

Wondered if anyone would explain to me what the difference is.

I have had a google, but not helped.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
TT is when you have a live and a neutral, but no earth down the wires that supply your electricity..

you install a method of earthing at your end, usualy an earth rod, but plates or other methigs of earthing are available, all of which involve burying a large piece of metal and connecting your earth wire to it.

they do similar at their end.

it's called TT as it stands for Terra-Terra, meaning earth-earth.

The 3 most common supply types are TN-S, TN-CS and TT

TT is a system where the supply (neutral) is earthed (the first "T") at the DNOs transformer and the consumers exposed installation metalwork is all connected to another electrode (the second "T").
Any fault current in this type of installation flows back to the source via the general mass of earth.

TN-CS is a system where the supply neutral is earthed (1st "T"), there is a direct connection between the consumers installation exposed metalwork ("N"), it is combined ("C") with the neutral to the service head and then separates ("S").
Protective multiple earthing is also employed with TN-CS so the combined neutral and earth is tied to earth using electrodes or similar along its length.

TN-S is a system where the supply neutral is earthed ("T"), there is a direct connection between the consumers installation exposed metalwork ("N") and it is a separate conductor ("S").

Thanks guys.

All makes sence now. I am just nosy and like to know what I am reading about.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The Wiki doesn't go to show how the actual networks are setup for the 3 main types, just how they look at the consumers end.

The Wiki doesn't go to show how the actual networks are setup for the 3 main types, just how they look at the consumers end.

True, but I suspect it would have told the OP all he wanted to know.

You have to ask him that ;)

When someone is talking about systems I take it to mean the whole of the system back to and including the DNO transformer, just like the pics in the link the OP posted to from IET wiring matters - even though that document incorrectly says N means Neutral ;)

Chaps,

Just to clear everything up, I had seen the wikki but was after a bit more info as was explained by mr 123 :)

Thanks all, every day is a school day as they say.

LOL, thank you. :)

But you need to know what "terms" to put in. I did not.

But I have what I needed now.

So thank you all.

Enjoy the Bank Hol

But you need to know what "terms" to put in. I did not.
FHS

Ive seen differnt types mentioned.
So if you'd seen different types mentioned, you must have seen the different terms used.

I have had a google, but not helped.
Why didn't you try searching for the different terms you'd seen mentioned?

Nice to see such friendly people here. I will stick around for more friendly advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back