Older Kitchen Mixer Taps (circa 1985)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a burst within one of the flexible copper tails trailing from my old Kitchen Mixer Tap (Hot). These tails are fixed and not removable. I therefore went out and purchased a new replacement mixer tap however I notice that the contemporary designs have altered in the way they are secured to the sink. My old one has a single 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" threaded bush passing through the sink with a corresponding brass thin-nut securing it below. Newer designs are fastened with horseshoe plate clamped to sink using either one or two m8 threaded stud and Nut. My problem is how to remove the old Mixer. Were special Box Spanners ever made available for these as I can't see a way of unfastening without removing sink.

Sponsored Links
No just an adjustable basin spanner. Monument type should do. If it is bigger then you may find the hole too big for your tap. I doubt it though I have changed a few.

Box spanners are available, but finding the right size to fit a probably non-standard size nut is a chicken and egg problem - you will probably have to remove the nut to measure it's size accurately so you can get the right size spanner to remove the nut..... Back to the basin wrench methinks!

Thanks for the information - I'll give the adjustable one a go first - laced with 2 days of penetration oil probably!

Sponsored Links
If you have access, it may be possible to drill the brass nut in two places and fracture it.

Unless some monkey smeared jointing paste, or plumber's mait, all over the threads, you'll only have to get the nut moving a bit and then you can spin it off by hand. A tap with a screwdriver and a hammer will often do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back