"O" rings for Belmont Rad Valves

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
a relation has these old Belmont valves, most of them leak round the spindle when turned.

I have replaced some valves, but others are more difficult, as the pipes are set in concrete and the valve is longer in the body than modern ones. three of the old rads are very big and heavy, and one of them is cut and welded to fit a bay window, so I don't want to take them off and move them down half an inch to fit a modern valve.

I took some valves apart, and found that there are two red "O" rings on the spindle, I have cleaned and descaled the valves and thought it would be easy to replace the rings and swap the leaky valves, using silicone grease and PTFE tape I imagine they will last well. I also thought of reassembling with PTFE tape round the spindle.

However Pegler tell me that the "O" rings are £1.50 EACH!!

(there are two on each spindle)

presumably it is fairly standard, has anyone come across this and know a more economical source of the correct ring to use? My alternative is to get a mixed box of a thousand and try them until I find one that fits.

Sponsored Links
You can get packets on ten from HRPC etc they come in red and green depending on valves 10 min job to fit left handed thread to remove!

try b.g. spares by post phone nO is 0116 2503128 there are 2 types red & green
Try this!!

hrpc is even more expensive

Product: 292027
1/2" RED BELMONT O RINGS NEW (EACH) 1.95 2.24

:(

surely the "O" ring factory sells them to Pegler at 50p a thousand?

Sponsored Links
:eek: How much?! :eek:

Even RS Components can't manage to charge more than about £8 for a bag of 50 O rings, that's about 16p each

If you know the dimensions, (bore and outside diameter) they might have some the right size

I find it difficult to measure an O ring, but I think I will try sliding drill shanks down them, and the aperture in the valve. with luck that will be accurate enough (they are a bit squashy so I presume will accomodate slight innacuracy)

With such ridiculous prices, I though maybe one of the pro's would know a source

Why where valves not changed when your boiler was done the other month

Namsag: not my house (see above). my house has new TRVs and l/s that I fitted before having the boiler changed

Terry: my relation has 4 old ground floor rads with concreted pipes with 2 valves each x 2 rings per valve = so I need 16 rings

(the upstairs ones I am replacing with new TRVs and l/s valves as it is an easier job than the downstairs ones)

The Belmont is a marvellous valve - well worth maintaining rather replacing, especially since most Belmont replacements will need a pipework modification.

So it's £6 per rad for another 10 years. So what?

Let's say that you can find them for 50p each - can you justify the time that you spend chasing around to save pennies?

Just buy the ****ing O rings and fit them.

I think I can as I have more than enough time but less than enough money

I am willing to re-ring them

I just think that the price charged is unreasonably excessive

don't you?

I think I can as I have more than enough time but less than enough money

I am willing to re-ring them

I just think that the price charged is unreasonably excessive

don't you?

How about £10 for 20 posted ?

have tried to Message you but you have to accept me as your Friend first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back