"O" rings for Belmont Rad Valves

so can these valves be re o ringed ?
does the system need a drain down,how does the water not escape.
see they are either green or red,are the original colours still visable after being in crappy water for years.
so its a good idea if they can be repaired,were these really expensive valves when new.
is there an instruction leaflet/pdf on internet.
good idea to repair than replace but i bet the water in these systems is now pretty poor.
thanks all.

Sponsored Links
can these valves be re o ringed ?

Yes - that's what people have been discussing.

does the system need a drain down?

No.

how does the water not escape?

Because the valve closes when you remove the headwork.

are the original colours still visable after being in crappy water for years?

Yes.

were these really expensive valves when new?

Yes.

is there an instruction leaflet/pdf on internet?

Do you mean like this one?
http://www.pegler.co.uk/Media/EN/Downloads/63073625_Belmont_May_09.pdf

i bet the water in these systems is now pretty poor.

You seem to have no factual basis for your wager.

Sponsored Links
The O-rings are standard Imperial size:

BS012 - for 3/8" stem and 1/2" bore.

Material is standard Nitrile rubber. So the full spec is: BS012 N70.

You can get packs of 50 rings from Barnwells for £2.40

The only "special" feature of the Pegler rings is the red or green colour. If you can bear to do without this, the saving is worthwhile . . . .

Spanner48, Who and what are Barnswells as i need some of these O rings?
Do you have any contact details for them?

I've got this problem at my mother's house .Touch a valve and it leaks .Is there no commonly found replacement valve that is a direct replacement ? If not I'll have to have a go at resealing .Are the measurements quoted above for the green rings ? I suppose there's no chance of unscrewing the valve and having water p*ssing out ?

Depends what the rad valves are.

If they're Pegler Belmonts, the name will be on an ally disc on the recessed top of the knob [though they often come off, or become illegible].

If they are, they'll be about 4mm longer in the body that modern replacement rad valves. If you've flexible pipework or adjustable rad hangers, that'll be OK. If both are rigid, you've got a problem. In that case, re-ringing them is the best answer.

See above for how to do it, without having to drain the system, and with only a fairly small water spill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back