Lintel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone take a look at this pic and maybe give me some pointers, i'm pretty handy and most jobs but think this may be one for a builder?

Basically doing whats rapidly turned into full on renovation the more we dig, and have just discovered the wooden lintel (edged in red) sits 3 1/2 inches in on the left side of the opening, the right hand side sits about 4 inches in but the later stack of bricks (put in when the windows were replaced at a guess - indicated yellow line) are not tied into the gable end wall or the external wall. Am i being over-concerned or is this not good practice?

Thanks

CD

Sponsored Links
At least there appears to be plenty of lateral restraint directly above the lintel. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yeah the floor boards must be doing a good job, two of the beams are not actually sitting on the lintel, they seem to be levitating :rolleyes:

Removed all the plaster now, the bricks are not tied into anything, fresh air all round.

Lovely

CD

fastneattrowel";p="1238845 said:
Post another pic closer up.
Cant really see any detail.[bog have you recently been on a goverment funded jack o all master o none course :)

No im time served, from back in the day when apprenticeships were proper apprenticeships. :)

Have you ?

Not sure how you can tell the bricks are tied in from those pics though.
Although I cant see even the stupidest person not doing so.

If I was bothered about the joists appearing to be floating above the lintel. I would put in some slate packers to make sure they are supported.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back