clearing a garden.... jungle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
gonna start on my garden, what a mess, weeds with thorns on about 4 ft high, no back gate so hoping to clear it and burn it in garden. do you think i would be wise to hire a brush cutter, would that be up to the job, then i can burn it and start digging it to get at the roots.

Sponsored Links
Think there are restrictions to bonfires in london. Secateurs, loppers, saws, plastic bags and time are required. Have gone off using power tools since I find them more hassle than they're worth.

I agree with dextrous about power tools generally.

An exception is to hire, buy or borrow a garden mincer like this. It's quiet and effective for brambles. You need to look for a "quiet" shredder.

Get one of these to dig the roots out. You might also like a mattock, but it probably isn't necessary. For some background info on these tools. It's a US site but they buy the tools from the UK.

Just plod through the garden, it won't take long, it's not hard going, and it's a lot less of a pain than a brush cutter. Some long loppers to cut the stems and some welding gauntlets make handling the brambles reasonable. All the vegetation can be piled up. It will shrink from 5 feet high to less than a foot in a year, and you will still have the nutrients it contains. Alternatively the council probably collects green "waste".

Since I started using the Chillington tools, the jobs have become quicker and more pleasant than the strimmer approach.

If you want a long-grass cutter they are available here.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I've never had great experience with shredders either, but it's probably just me. It's amazing how much can be achieved over a couple of hours with hand tools

I used to have a noisy shredder, but then got what is really a garden mincer. This does a brilliant job of reducing barrow loads of stuff to a couple of bags, and if it's woody prunings, to little bits that I dry and shovel onto the woodburner in the winter.

I used to have a noisy shredder, but then got what is really a garden mincer. This does a brilliant job of reducing barrow loads of stuff to a couple of bags, and if it's woody prunings, to little bits that I dry and shovel onto the woodburner in the winter.

Guess that's it then. Only ever tried with cheapo b&q machines- you get what you pay for! Maybe one day I'll hire a decent one to see if it's a natural inability I have :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back