Garden Wall/Raised bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a raised bed in the garden, 1 side would be the house, 1 side the shared garden wall. The third side would be a curved one which I want to build. I've dug the trench for the foundation and got all the bricks. Easy bit done.
The wall will be no higher than 2/3 bricks above ground level.

I need some help with what I would be suitable foundations.
I was going to buy foundation blocks, but when I went to see them they were massive, about 12" deep so I thought that was a bit overkill. From what I gather I could get away with 150mm foundations. I looked at premix concrete but I'd have to spend about £180 to get enough. Is there an alternative?
Could I use a a course of dense concrete block and pour on a couple of inches of concrete to heighten and fill in the gaps created by the curve?

Sponsored Links
Why the reluctance to lay some mix-your-own concrete? If you say the total number of courses will be no more than say less than 10 then 100mm thick concrete will do.

Dig the trench, tap in and level some pegs then barrow in the muck, tamping it level with the pegs.

Readymix will not work out in this instance, i'd be surprised if it would exceed 0.5m3.

I would be concerned about the planter being against the house though, unless of course that it is below dpc?

...or that you are using a protective membrane maybe?

Okay, I've knocked the whole ready mix/foundation block on the head. I'm going to mix the concrete myself. Much cheaper and easier, don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!

Next question - What't the best (easiest)way of arranging the bricks for a 45 degree angle? As it is a garden bed (ie back filled) it doesn't matter if brick protrude in. (The face would be 45degrees so the infill bit would be the obtuse (315degrees), if that makes sense).

BTW - the DPC is above the bed

edit/ okay, I've just tried to sketch this out, I'm think that a 45degree cut across the brick has to be done; alternating each side of the brick for each course?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back