Starting out on your own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey gang,

for those of you that are sparkies/plumbers/brickies etc that started as an apprentice, how and when did you start out on your own?

Did you slowly build up your basic tools and just start by doing jobs for friends and family and it build from there? I suppose you'd have to be careful not to tread on your bosses toes so to speak work wise.

I'm at a stage now where I can do most tasks competently and have done a few jobs for friends and family. I'd like to take it further but still keep my job as working for my boss as i enjoy it. Would like to start earning a bit more money

So what would you recommend I do? Maybe do jobs for people in the evenings and weekends? I suppose I would need to get a business account set up and think of a company name, how do i go about registering it etc?

regards

supermario

Sponsored Links
i've been working for myself for the last 5 years, and it aint easy, but i wouldnt have it any other way now, i served my time as a joiner, and done that off and on for 15 years working for other people, when i made the decision to go it alone i only had 2 weeks worth of work booked in, it's all about takeing the risk, i've been lucky to always have work, weather it my own of subbieing for others, in the current climate where i am, work is v hard to come by, so im not doing to bad.
as for regisitering, just phone the local tax office and tell them that you want to become self employed, they let you know whats what.

Sponsored Links
Not another one :rolleyes:

Good luck!

1279.gif

all that and you don't even tell us what you do.

with a name like supermario you had to ask?? :LOL:

self employment at the moment would be suicidal even with 10 years worth of customers i still struggle to find enough work to keep busy, it is tough out there, more & more plumbers by the hour, labour rates cut to a stupid amount and customers far & few between.

I turned up at a house in Hull today owner grinning like a cheshire cat with a sort of bear bating glint.

"I had it powerflushed and new chemicals put it. "

"Oh that's good."

"yes and it was a lot cheaper than you lot"

"oh really?"

"yes it was £100"

At which point I am seeing two mugs in my minds eye. the mug who thinks a £100 powerflush is worth so much that it is amiunition for a bear bating smug face, and the mug who is running round hull powerflushing for £100.

Join us mate if money means nothing to you and you love hard work.

If you have any sense you'll sell what tools you have a stack shelves or sell petrol for minimum wage, you'll be better off, do less hours have a home life and still have some energy at the end of the day.

I don't mind putting in the hours, we regularly work late, doesn't bother me as I enjoy it. Been employed in some pretty dull jobs in the past, working all sorts of hours.

Will keep doing what I'm doing.. ie working for my boss, and just do any work on the side that I can get through friends and family :)

I don't mind putting in the hours, we regularly work late, doesn't bother me as I enjoy it. Been employed in some pretty dull jobs in the past, working all sorts of hours.

Will keep doing what I'm doing.. ie working for my boss, and just do any work on the side that I can get through friends and family :)
Did just that myself in the 1970`s :eek: - Bit more work about then- Got going nicely , then along came a copper shortage :rolleyes: That stuffed it and I signed on in 1980- to an employer ;) and a Wife . Wait for the Bust /recession to end - It will- and It`ll be followed by another Boom. (So on ad nauseam) Get into Drains/waste clearing -give your card to the local takeaways- Totally rancid work , But where there`s Muck there`s Brass ;) OR train to be a poncy Gas engineer- but you need a degree :LOL:

Did just that myself in the 1970`s :eek: - Bit more work about then- Got going nicely , then along came a copper shortage :rolleyes: That stuffed it and I signed on in 1980- to an employer ;) and a Wife . Wait for the Bust /recession to end - It will- and It`ll be followed by another Boom. (So on ad nauseam) Get into Drains/waste clearing -give your card to the local takeaways- Totally rancid work , But where there`s Muck there`s Brass ;) OR train to be a poncy Gas engineer- but you need a degree :LOL:

A degree? The ACS isn't that hard...

Now getting my BA(hons) from Leeds Uni was. 4 years of graft (and drinking) and now i'm a gas fitter... bad times!

Ah, but there are Gas Fitters ...and there are "Gas Fitters"working with Agile in London..older, with degrees ;)

Sponsored Links
Back