protective layer on roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been given a quate from an established company to have the roof cleaned and any repairs needed to the roof for a sum of £4400!! It will be low power pressure washed to remove moss etc and then sealed with a coloured coatex system. The price originally was £9000, but if we stuck a sign in our garden for a month advertising their firm and by paying cash and getting it done in a weeks time we would pay £44000.
The roof size is 225m2. Is this worth getting done or a waste of money?
There is not that much moss but seemingly when it has been coatexed it lasts for 30 years with no more moss growing on it.
I would appreciate your expert advice on this. Thanks meantime

Sponsored Links
Complete and utter waste of money.

Best way to keep moss away is to have a copper strip running parallel with the eaves above the moss (usually along the ridge line), you will prob need more than one down the slope but not too many, when it rains the wash down the roof is toxic to the moss and kills it off. It won't cost you anywhere near £4400 to have this done even with the necessary access required

I agree with surreyroofing guy its a complete waste of money. I have seen many roofs with coloured coatings and for a while thehy look ok but after a few years they look patchy.

I also question the protection these coatings can offer. I just cant see it benificial after a few years when it starts to ewear away. Either way its not worth the money.

I have removed moss from many customers roofs and have always used a scraper rather than a pressure washer (as advised by Marley representitive)
I then spray the roof with a fungicide to kill off any moss spores and prevent early re-growth.

You could use copper but I agree you will need to use more than just a strip accross the ridge.

I wrote a blog entry here on diynot about moss removal. Its just my opinion but worth a read:

//www.diynot.com/network/blog_entry.php?user=danielroofer&blogentry_id=300

Sponsored Links
Excuse my poor spelling above. My new notebook has tiny keys - I keep tapping two at once!

Takes note of spell check button

Also thanks to you and appreciate your comments and your blog. We have decided not to have it done. I did not really like the painted roof look, but the hard sell of never having to clean the moss off was tempting!!!

agree with rest. been from perthshire myself most roofs especially tile get moss and come summer time these so called moss removers appear and have a good selling line where most are conned. from my area i can see 3 houses that have been done and the tiles that have been damaged, and missing pointing from ridge are still ther but just been sprayed over. cant wait to see how anyone going to get replacement tiles and pointing to match the new colour!!! be careful.

Funny how roofers get all flustered when this subject comes along. Maybe you guys had it too good for too long. Bit like bow and arrow makers when some smart a** invented guns?????!!!!!
There is pages and pages about roof-coaters and yet there are still blokes selling guns and arrows in the same market.

Copper worked well 40-50 years ago when there was plenty of acid rain that disolved small particles of copper to create copper sulphate...... but as the same lack of acid rain is causing moss to grow faster than in the past 120 years, then is a vicious circle. Sealing concrete roof tiles with this product will prevent moss sporse gaining a foot hold for longer, but 9000£ is mad, you can get a very nice job for £18 per square meter and it is available as clear coat or coloured. You choose and if you want to make an informed choice, then take the advise from more than one source, and by that I mean, do not ask the arrow maker, without asking the gun seller cos'neither will condone the other guys trade.

PS quite like the look of the ones I have seen. :oops:

Painting a roof is not only pointless but looks tat.

Spend your hard earned dollars on something worth while. :rolleyes:

noseall";p="1246518 said:
Painting a roof is not only pointless but looks tat.

only your opinion though eh? tHATS EXACTLY THE ISSUE WITH THIS TYPE OF THREAD

personal taste..... its personal

+9000 opinions is better than no opinions... you must be correct, I bow to your esteemed knowledge and obvious expertise in all things, oh sage of the foruminus diynotius. Now#

Impossibilium nulla obligatio est
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus

as the romans once said to such. :rolleyes:

My opinion is as worthless as the next posters, however....

Non-essential roofing work has long been a lucrative income for the less discerning trades-person (***** rob dogs), and since the advent of roof painting, there has never been a better way of relieving poor pensioners, the gullible and the naive, from their hard earned cash.

I'd Like to know your opinins on pressed concrete, false pattern slippy shiney drives next, up 4 it??? :?:

I think the product itself is overpriced, but this is in balance with the risk involved with laying material (vulnerable whilst still wet), that can be ruined by rain.

I have yet to see one of these drives that has not cracked, even with the disc-cut and siliconed expansion joints.

That said some drives look ok. As you say, great for folks who like a shiny drive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back